cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not allowed to upgrade to Fibre Extra?

alexcr

Not allowed to upgrade to Fibre Extra?

I've upgraded from ADSL to FTTC. The product change wizard only allowed me to select the 38 Mbps option, but a call assured me that I'd be able to change that after the install. I've now been told by two support agents that I cannot have the 76 Mbps fibre extra product, as 'we cannot guarantee your speeds will be higher than your estimate'. BT wholesale's checker estimates downstream between 59.6 and 39.3 Mbps. I noticed after installation that speed tests consistently showed 37.5 Mbps down, and 16–17 Mbps up, so I suspected that my line might have synced significantly higher than the low end of the estimate. A TAP3 test (attached) managed to get 66 Mbps down, and shows a 70 Mbps IP profile, which, AFAIK, means my modem has actually managed to sync at about 70 Mbps. I'm guessing that means my line is significantly better than BT predicted.
I'd be more than happy to pay £5 per month for that extra speed. I'm perfectly willing to accept that Plusnet will only guarantee the lower estimated speed. BT's retail arm seemed to be perfectly happy to sell me a 76 Mbps connection. Why won't Plusnet take my money!  Roll_eyes
24 REPLIES 24
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Not allowed to upgrade to Fibre Extra?

That IP profile certainly does indicate that you're synced above 70Mb/s.
Bear in mind that this may reduce, in time, if crosstalk from other customers taking up FTTC on your cabinet affects your line.
If you're happy with the 'risks' then I can't see why Plusnet should be reluctant to take more money.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Let me look into this to see what I can do.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
alexcr

Much appreciated; thanks!
adie:quote
thunderer
Grafter

I had this issue, when I wanted to max out my speed and it took a phone call to PN CS to get the matter sorted.
I'm now enjoying a connection speed of around 67-68Meg, although I have had problems, but that it seems was down to a neighbour, who's now left and my connection has stabilised and line speeds returned to normal.  Smiley
alexcr

Quote from: Matthew

Sorry to bump, but have you been able to find anything out on this? If there's someone in particular I can talk to about this, I'm happy to do so. Cheers!
NoZephy
Rising Star

I'm in the same boat here! couldn't order the extra package because my low estimate is conveniently just under 40Mbps... IIRC my neighbours estimates are 55-68Mbps download and 15-20Mbps upload on clean line.
Matthew should already be aware of my thread, I wouldn't mind upgrading to the Fibre Extra Unlimited package as well but the estimate's for my line are completely off. Even the ADSL estimates are completely underestimated and say 3Mbps when I was getting 12Mbps back on ADSL Huh
TAP3 test in the attachments w/ speedtest from what I'm getting right now
NoZephy
Rising Star

Quote from: Matthew

Any news on this yet? I'm still sitting on a clean low estimate of 39Mbps even though my TAP results are 60+ and the line sync has been holding at 72Mbps for the past 10 days or so.
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Those of you who are syncing at more than 40Mbit and want fibre extra, can you please raise me a ticket (can still be done at contactus.plus.net) and let me know once it's done so I can make the change?
EDIT: I've just spoken to Matt about this and he's been looking into it (as per reply 2), and their maybe a problem. If we can get the DPA stuff sorted first though, we can make a concerted effort to sort it.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
alexcr

Quote from: plusnettony
Those of you who are syncing at more than 40Mbit and want fibre extra, can you please raise me a ticket (can still be done at contactus.plus.net) and let me know once it's done so I can make the change?

I've already got a ticket open for this, but I can open another if that helps?
EDIT: I've just spoken to Matt about this and he's been looking into it (as per reply 2), and their maybe a problem. If we can get the DPA stuff sorted first though, we can make a concerted effort to sort it.

Thanks, it's good to know that it's being looked into!
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

So you have! I didn't see it initially as we'd replied. I've moved it to my pool so I can do some testing.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

If you wouldn't mind doing me a favour, please disconnect, reconnect and you should be getting new speed.
I'm sorry it took so long, there was lots of messing around to be done at our side.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
alexcr

Awesome, looks good! 60 Mbps down right now, which I'm pretty happy with. Thanks for sorting this out!
dick:quote
NoZephy
Rising Star

Sorry for the delay, busy weekend.
I've opened a ticket/question ID 103491619 about this issue as well.
If you could change the package asap that would be brill Smiley
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Cheers, I'm taking a look now.
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team