cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not Happy! G.INP = Higher Latency + Lower Sync Speeds

TR1PL3D
Grafter

Not Happy! G.INP = Higher Latency + Lower Sync Speeds

Its seems that we are also suffering from this G.INP issue when using ECI modems.
My ECI modem is currently standard, not unlocked, so I cannot check to see if G.INP is actually enabled on my line.
But all I know is this, my latency has gone from 15-18ms to bbc.co.uk to 45ms all day and night long!
Sync speeds have gone from 80000 to 69000.
PLEASE SORT IT OUT!!!
Its worth mentioning that I also have a Zen fibre line in this office, I am also seeing increased latency and lower sync speeds on that connection also. But it is not as bad as the noticeable drop I am seeing with Plusnet. Zen line also uses the ECI modem.
Not having a dig at Plusnet, but just wanted to vent my frustration here as this is obviously bad planning by Openreach and also leaving ISP's trying to second guess what is actually going on when Openreach just keep quiet until they get enough complaints to actually try and do something about it!
Could somebody kindly provide my current line stats and if possible the stat history over the last 2 weeks please.
Thanks
26 REPLIES 26
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Not Happy! G.INP = Higher Latency + Lower Sync Speeds

It sounds like you do have G.INP enabled if that is the case then you have two options get yourself a Huawei based modem at your own expense or wait for BTO to release a firmware update to fix the problem if that is what they are planning to do,  no one seems to know what is going on in that regard so you could be waiting some time.
sadly there is nothing Plusnet or any other ISP can do but tell you if G.INP has been enabled or not this is all down to openreach.   
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I've checked your line and from what I can see you don't have G.INP enabled.
Your current profile is "0.128M-80M Downstream, Interleaving Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Interleaving On" so the interleaving will be why your seeing higher pings rather then G.INP.
At the same time the sync speed hasn't dropped enough for our suppliers to investigate I'm afraid.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 12

If the GEA Test show below:
0.128-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low
0.128-20M Upstream, Retransmission Low
This mean it was enabled G.INP on the line because it will show up Retransmission on it, if it doesn't, then it wasn't G.INP!
fp
Grafter

Quote from: Matthew
I've checked your line and from what I can see you don't have G.INP enabled.

Why are many people across the country reporting the same effect in the same time period - instant change to lower download speeds, lower upload speed and higher ping times.  PN seem to be telling individuals it is not G.INP and it is not a problem (gnashing of teeth) because speeds, although lower,  are still in an acceptable range.  (Oh - and our suppliers won't do anything until it gets really bad.).
So what continues to cause the problems if it is not G.INP related?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You are making a very rash assumption that the same reason is causing everyone's loss of speed.
Some will be g.inp, some will be exchange contention, some will be physical line issues, some will be cross talk, ...
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: fp
So what continues to cause the problems if it is not G.INP related?

That's not what Matthew said Shocked  The cabinet may be G.inp capable but G.inp is not enabled for the line as the modem (eg ECI) does not support it. Under these conditions, the line goes to a "backup" condition that causes a drop in sync speed and higher ping values rather than using the "old" system.
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
fp
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
You are making a very rash assumption that the same reason is causing everyone's loss of speed.

If I had assumed that all reported problems were G.INP related then it may indeed have been rash.
There appears to be a subset of problems reported here with common symptoms that appeared around the same time.  In my case following BT disconnecting and reconnecting the modem at 2146 on 01 April after a year of much better stable speeds and with no indication of problems.  I am also told it is not G.INP, but not what it is.  Cross-talk etc is mentioned as a possible cause, but without any evidence.
TR1PL3D
Grafter

Just to update you on this situation.
I obtained an unlocked HG612 modem.
Put this on the Plusnet circuit here in the office, we also have Zen fibre here.
Initially there was no change at all, but after reading various forums, some people are having to wait for G.INP to be enabled after connecting a compatible modem. So I waited.
Yesterday at about 4:40am, my connection drops and resyncs, then low and behold G.INP is shown as enabled in the stats, sync speeds are back to normal and latency is also back to normal.
HOWEVER!
Even though the sync speeds are at 79999 down and 20000 up. I am getting no more than 62Mbps down and 17.5Mbps up on speed tests!
Pings are fine at between 13ms to 16ms to bbc.co.uk.
Now here is the concerning thing.
The Zen fibre line we also have here uses a standard ECI modem. Connected to the same G.INP enabled street cab.
While latency still remains an issue on the Zen circuit, the speeds are better than the Plusnet circuit even though G.INP is now enabled and working. Even though the ECI modem on the Zen circuit has synced at 71858 down and 19999 up!?!?!?
So something is certainly going on and I am determined to find out what it is.
Failing that, the Plusnet line will be moved over to Zen.
Here are stats from the HG612 on the Plusnet circuit and speedtest.
Plusnet Speed Test

Plusnet HG612 Stats
# xdslcmd info --pbParams
xdslcmd: ADSL driver and PHY status
Retrain Reason: 1
Last initialization procedure status: 0
Max: Upstream rate = 34743 Kbps, Downstream rate = 97268 Kbps
Bearer: 0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 79999 Kbps
Bearer: 1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps
Discovery Phase (Initial) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2782)
DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3959)
Medley Phase (Final) Band Plan
US: (7,32) (871,1205) (1972,2782)
DS: (33,859) (1216,1961) (2793,3959)
  VDSL Port Details   Upstream   Downstream
Attainable Net Data Rate:     34743 kbps     97268 kbps
Actual Aggregate Tx Power:   -  3.7 dBm     13.1 dBm
====================================================================================
VDSL Band Status U0 U1 U2 U3 U4 D1 D2 D3
  Line Attenuation(dB): 2.0 9.8 13.9   N/A   N/A 6.3 13.6 20.0
Signal Attenuation(dB): 2.0 9.1 13.3   N/A   N/A 7.0 13.5 20.0
SNR Margin(dB): 15.6 15.7 15.6   N/A   N/A 10.7 10.7 10.6
TX Power(dBm): -18.0 -32.1 -4.0   N/A   N/A 9.8 7.7 7.0
#

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Even though the sync speeds are at 79999 down and 20000 up. I am getting no more than 62Mbps down
has your PlusNet line speed profile caught up with the increased speed yet ? 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

TR1PL3D
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
Even though the sync speeds are at 79999 down and 20000 up. I am getting no more than 62Mbps down
has your PlusNet line speed profile caught up with the increased speed yet ? 

Not so sure about that, where can I find out?
This is what I am seeing in the member section of the Plusnet site.
Estimated line speed:
There's no speed estimate currently held on your account.
Current line speed:
69.4 Mb
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Does that agree with the BT IP profile from here http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

BT IP Profile is always quicker than PN IP Profile. Sometimes it doesn't updated proper!
TR1PL3D
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
Does that agree with the BT IP profile from here http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Here's BT's answer to your question.
IP Profile for your line is - 70.23 Mbps
goldenfibre
Seasoned Pro

BT IP 70.23 Mb from 79999K (it's not right? should be IP Profile 77.35 Mb from BT)