Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Normal response from Plusnet?

infidelus
Rising Star

Normal response from Plusnet?

New poster.  Hello.
I recently placed an order for Plusnet fibre, and BT came round to install on 23 March.  There was apparently a fault on the line which meant the engineer needed to come back the following day, at which point he changed the wire from the pole to the house and did some bits at the cabinet and exchange.  I think I got my money's worth from the install as the engineer was apparently sorting things out for a total of about 8 hours.
Anyway, he finished and moved on to his next job (as one would).  When I got home I started running speed tests.  Now, I'm paying for the up to 76Mb connection, and the BT checker says I should get at least 64Mb, however my profile seems to be capped at ~30Mb down and 6 or 7Mb up.  I'm getting these speeds consistently.
I raised this as a fault last Friday (ticket 101618915) as this is quite clearly nowhere near what I'm expecting or paying for.
I've finally had a response today from Plusnet support who say there's no fault on the line and it's 'working within expectations' ...
I'm rather speechless after reading the reply.  Within Expectations?  Less than half the expected speeds is .... normal?  Not in my world.  I'd have expected this 'up to' nonsense with ADSL as it was from home to the exchange, and as I was a few miles from the exchange, I wasn't expecting rocket speeds back then.  From wandering round the neighbourhood today however, and the cabinet I found is only two roads away (about 50 yards as the crow flies, but probably a bit further following phone wires).
I'd love to be clued in by someone as to why my connection speeds are 'acceptable'.
44 REPLIES 44
davenos
Rising Star

Re: Normal response from Plusnet?

How are you testing your speed is it from a wireless or wired connection?
What does the BT wholesale checker say your maximum and minimum speeds could be(both clean and impacted)?
Its also worth noting you may not be connected to the cabinet you found it maybe one further away(I'm connected to one 0.4miles from my address while the closet one is a mere 50 yards from my house).
infidelus
Rising Star

Quote from: davenos
How are you testing your speed is it from a wireless or wired connection?
What does the BT wholesale checker say your maximum and minimum speeds could be(both clean and impacted)?
Its also worth noting you may not be connected to the cabinet you found it maybe one further away(I'm connected to one 0.4miles from my address while the closet one is a mere 50 yards from my house).

Hi.  Thanks for the reply.
Wired - always.  The first test I did was direct from the modem to a PC.  I've run subsequent tests from other machines over the LAN, all with very similar speed results.
Pic below of BT's expected speeds for my phone number.  As you can see, even the worst impacted speed should be over 50Mb.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Which speed test site are you using?  Try http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and post the results of the Further Diagnostics tests.
What does this page say regarding your current line speed?
infidelus
Rising Star

Quote from: pwatson
Which speed test site are you using?  Try http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ and post the results of the Further Diagnostics tests.
What does this page say regarding your current line speed?

I've run tests from speedtest.net and the BT Wholesale site. Pics attached from BT Wholesale and the Plusnet portal.
davenos
Rising Star

Well something is clearly very wrong your IP profile is set to 30.9mbps which just does not fit with the BT estimates.
Someone at PlusNet needs to look into this ASAP.
infidelus
Rising Star

Thanks for confirming what I suspected.  I'm just amazed at the official Plusnet response to my ticket saying there's nothing wrong.
jim:quote
dnpark38
Rising Star

To me looks like Plusnet are supplying the up to 38Mb service to you, are they charging for the up to 76Mb if not get them to charge correct price for what your on.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/button/1476198475230638155-mini.png
infidelus
Rising Star

Yes, I'm paying for the Unlimited Fibre Extra packaged (Up to 76Mb), which I also mentioned to them in the ticket I raised, and which you'd think they'd know by looking at my account.
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The problem is the BT line profile, not your account type.  Either the BT Checker prediction is very wrong or there is a problem that needs investigation.
The BT Wholesale test you posted yesterday gives the info PN need to decide what to do next so I'd wait for their response, either here or on your fault ticket. 
infidelus
Rising Star

Thanks.  I'd already sent them some screenshots, but I've also linked to this post in the hopes they may investigate a bit more.
infidelus
Rising Star

Looks like I'm not going to get any response now until at least Tuesday as it's a bank holiday weekend.  That'll be two weeks from install and nothing apart from the initial Plusnet response that caused me to make this thread Sad
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

We have a faults team working, so I'm hoping you'll get a reply soon.
Now, I think they were under the impression that you had an authentication fault (the ticket went into the auth pool) thus believed the connection to be working. This isn't good, and I've fed this back for you.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Just to update you, I've tested the line and raised the fault to BT for you. I suspect they'll want to send an engineer, but we will have confirmation of this in the next day or so.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
infidelus
Rising Star

Thank you Tony.