cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noisy line and high SNR

AlienatedCargo
Dabbler

Noisy line and high SNR

Hi, I'm hoping you guys can steer me in the right direction as im not having much luck with plusnet support.

So I had some issues a while back with the line dropping, openreach said part of the line was faulty and replaced it then said see how i get on. I had to swap the BT HH6 back to plusnet hub as this seemed to cause some drop outs also. At this time they replaced the faceplate for a prefiltered one.

Fast forward a month and my noise margin rose from 3 upto 9-10 on average resulting a speed drop from 23mb to 15mb. I tried a standard corded phone in the test socket and I hear a buzzing on the quiet line test. The previous engineers were in the area and said they would replace the line while they were quiet after I logged a fault as the previous repair hadn't worked. I did see them installing some lines but never had a line drop to suggest they had finished? I then get a missed call/voicemail from a different engineer saying he can't find a fault in the exchange and plusnet support keep saying no fault found and I should go to currys and buy a new faceplate (obviously we cannot in current climate). Now I do have a new extension socket wired in recently and I thought this was the issue so tried the router on the test socket for 4+ days with the same high SNR results. Plusnet now want to charge me for an engineer visit so I'm at a loss on where to go? The line is very stable from both the extension and the master/test socket but with the high noise margin our already poor speed makes VDSL a waste.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Richard
2 REPLIES 2
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

Re: Noisy line and high SNR

Your line is banded. I hope the fix put in place previously fixed the actual issue which caused it to be banded. I've asked that this be removed, but I've not yet had confirmation this is being done presently. It would usually take 72 hours for banding to be manually removed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team
AlienatedCargo
Dabbler

Re: Noisy line and high SNR

Hi plusnettony,

Plusnet reports from every line test that the line is now fine although I do hear some line noise, it's not very loud but can be heard when no talking etc on 17070. Telephone support called me today and the line was replaced on the 4th to a new line. The line is stable with no drop outs other than ones caused by me haha!
Thank you for checking this and trying to get the banding removed, that would explain why the large sync speed drop following the line repair.

Regards

Richard