Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Noise Margin query

FIXED
fred77
Rising Star

Noise Margin query

Hello,

For some months now my BT router stats are showing a low "down" noise margin. Is this good? I think I have read somewhere that it is but on another post I got the impression it wasn't!  My router seems very stable, often going 20 - 30 days before a reset, and always comes back at 35mbps, so this is not a complaint! 

Also why does my "up" figure always show about 6 mbps? Is it possible to get more?

Just looking for some feedback as I am interested in learning how these things work. 

6 Days, 22 Hours 42 Minutes 52 Seconds

6.63 Mbps / 35.00 Mbps

6848 / 39288

6.5 dB / 2.6 dB

25 dB

0 dB / 25 dB

2 REPLIES 2
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Noise Margin query

Fix

Thanks for your post @fred77

Having a low noise margin isn't necessarily always a bad thing as it allows you to get the highest speeds possible. In some cases, it can make the line too fast causing errors however this is seen more on standard broadband rather than fibre broadband.

With regards to the upload speed being consistently at 6mbps it will most likely be that is the highest upload speed you can get. There are many factors which can affect your speeds but the most common are

• The distance of the line between your property and the cabinet. If you're quite far away you'll get poorer speeds but the closer you are the better speeds you'll get
  • If any section of the line between your property and the cabinet is aluminium. This doesn't work great on fibre and it can make your line appear longer then it is
  • Crosstalk which is electrical interference from other lines on Fibre. This can gradually bring your speeds down over time as more people move over to Fibre.

Let us know if there's anything else we can help with

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
fred77
Rising Star

Re: Noise Margin query

Thanks Mathew for the info.  That helps.

Cheers,

John