cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No wifi but ethernet fine

jefnerf

No wifi but ethernet fine

Hi there, I have a plusnet technicolour TG582n with fibre optic internet.  Today came downstairs to no wireless. Have plugged ethernet in and laptop running fine off the ethernet.  However when I try to log into the router on 192.168.1.254 get a "Access Error: 500 -- Internal Server Error" message.

I have tried pin reset, but wireless still dead.

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
Baldrick1
Fixes: 414

Re: No wifi but ethernet fine

@jefnerf wrote:

Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

1. Take out a new contract and get Plusnet to throw in a new router for £7.99. You may be lucky and get a good one.

2. Go onto Ebay and spend around £20 on a Smarthub 6 and set it up on your Plusnet account. See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

witherford
Rising Star

Sounds like their may be a hardware fault with the router? how old is it?

If you want to arrange a team viewer session i would be happy to have a look and see if i can access the router.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

Hi there.

Can you try pressing the WiFi button on the top of the router to see if that brings it on?

Failing that before deeming the router faulty, I'd then recommend try a factory reset by pushing a paperclip into the reset pinhole at the back for 15 seconds.

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Might sound really daft but have you tried unplugging & plugging the router back in? Just thinking the Wi-Fi side of things may have just crashed.

newagetraveller
Pro
Fixes: 2

"If you want to arrange a team viewer session i would be happy to have a look and see if i can access the router."

No doubt the intention is good, but I would never, ever allow anybody to have external access to my device(s).

jefnerf

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies.  I have done a factory reset, tried turning it off and on etc.  Does seem like the wifi is dead 😕 have had it for nearly 5 years so to be expected!  Will look at new contracts Smiley

EDIT: Have managed to access router via 192.168.1.254 on a different computer and can see in the logs "LOGIN wireless station [a0:63:91:bb:d1:29] can't get authorized."

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,596

Cheers for getting back to us,

It does sadly seem that way (RIP @jefnerf's Technicolor router)

Let us know if you need any further advice or assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet