cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No traffic over SSH

alephant
Grafter

No traffic over SSH

Since this morning, I am unable to do HTTP traffic over SSH.

From my office network, I use to activate an SSH tunnel to my home router (obviously at home I have Plusnet) and then browse the internet over the SSH tunnel. It has worked fine for months, then this morning: I can activate the SSH tunnel and connect to my router, even ping other machines in my home network, but when I try HTTP traffic over the SSH tunnel, I do not receive any data. From home, I can browse just fine.

A colleague (also Plusnet customer) can do http traffic over ssh through his Plusnet home connection, so we can rule out any issue with our office network.

Doing some traceroutes, it seems I am on the new network whereas he is still on the old one.

Is it possible to check my profile or something?

Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
alephant
Grafter

Re: No traffic over SSH

The lady in the chat suggested to open a ticket.

I did that, and I had to wait 3 days to get the answer: we can not assist with this fault, please call 0800 432 0200.

I called 0800 432 0200 and the lady said: I don't know what SSH is, but since you can browse fine from home, we assume there is no fault with your line hence we can not support.

How ridiculous is that??? I am paying to browse from home but also to connect TO my home.

Is there any Plusnet staff that can help on this forum, before I migrate to a serious and professional provider?

Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

With all of the DNS issues with the new network, some people reported a fault online at the usual faults.plus.net and had their connection moved onto a different ip range. I assume it is not part of the new network (I cannot confirm)

If you want some professional support from Plusnet instead of the general Plusnet CS, just file a ticket on that to have somebody to take a look. It might be for problems with your home broadband but rest assured somebody will eventually take a look.

Ah you've made a ticket. The old ticket system used to have many options, not quite sure why they've given that reply...

If you're using third party DD-Wrt or Merlin firmware for your router, have you checked that there is setting to allow WAN access for SSH?

It might have been turned off?

DD-Wrt releases do have bugs if your running that, try another release. I do recall that SPI Firewall being disabled could be causing some issues.

Is the port open?

Well if no configuration changes have been made, I'd assume it's a problem with the new network's routing, just like most of the people who moved onto it and have problems with DNS to specific sites. I personally don't know what a SSH Tunnel is, but I'd reckon it's a secure way of browsing the web through another device, the only SSH I know is connecting to a terminal.

alephant
Grafter

faults.plus.net is currently down... anyway as you said, I do have a ticket open, but so far I have found no engineer even able to understand what the issue is.

I have Merlin and the settings are all ok. Nothing changed on my router.

The SSH tunnel is activated successfully and for example, once I ssh to my router, i can ping other devices in my intranet. But when I attempt HTTP traffic over ssh, i do not receive any data on the remote host, which suggests some network routing issue.

I use OpenDNS and Google dns, not the default Plusnet ones.

Riza
Rising Star

I personally use Merlin and the same DNS configuration Smiley

The issue isn't just with Plusnet's DNS but also third party ones, it is currently a routing issue with the new network. Is your home connection on the 146.x range or the 51.x range?

However, seeing that you can not access any web services, this isn't the problem.

I do recall static ip's are still on the old network. A person who had issues with the DNS, had a ticket and PN put them from the 51.x range to the 80.x range.

I also recall a problem with ongoing issues was that some people on Xbox services got a Strict NAT which meant they couldn't host servers.

alephant
Grafter

My ip is currently on the 209.93.x.x range.

I agree that static ip's on the old network do not suffer from same problems. In fact my colleague with static ip can still browse from office through the ssh tunnel.

But if I ask a static ip, will that solve the issue, or might I end uo having a static ip in the "faulty" range?

Riza
Rising Star

Well the Static IP's are on the old network, they're were not transferred over (At the time when this migration was going on, I personally don't know if this is still the case, but many people moved from 51.x ranges to 80.x ranges)

Also your not alone @alephant my ftp server isn't working when I try to access it from my O2's Mobile connection.

I am just reiterating what's going on in the forums, I don't know what Plusnet will do. 

alephant
Grafter

Riza, thanks for the test, it is a little relief seeing that at least someone acknowledges there is a network issue.

No worries, I know you are giving your 2 cents and not promising anything.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@alephant, drop me a private message and I'll take a look when I'm back in the office next week.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

alephant
Grafter

Finally a found a smart guy in the chat, in few seconds he understood my issue and assigned me a static IP address as a workaround. It works.

Riza
Rising Star

@alephant

Did the static ip one-off charge initiate a new contract? (mine has ended a year or so, I cannot find a better value provider with 80/20 including weekend calls for free)

I am thinking to have one as it's easier to point through my address when hosting servers. I know that it's a £5 fee, but it's useful into fixing this issue. Good news that your SSH is working, I'd probably do the same if I want to access FTP later...

I think I can add the addon in the Plusnet addons member page?

alephant
Grafter

I should hope no new contract has started and no payment will be required, as the static IP has been provided as a workaround for a network issue...

Anyway, yesterday in the afternoon I made a test with Bobpullen (luckily there are also great guys like him at Plusnet), he removed the static IP and I could not reproduce the issue, so it seems they have really fixed the problem on the network side.