cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No option but to leave Plusnet?

themclennans
Hooked

No option but to leave Plusnet?

Openreach have recently been working in our area and, according to their service checker, we are now able to receive fibre broadband as a "Fibre to the Property Service".  However, having spoken to Plusnet customer services and looking through the Community Pages, I understand that Plusnet don't offer this technology, which is rather disappointing given that I understood that they were a part of the "BT family".

We joined Madasafish way back in 2000 and have stayed with them for all that time, keeping with them through the transfer to Plusnet, and I have to say that, generally, over the years, we have been very happy with the service, understanding of course the limitations of traditional broadband in rural areas such as ours and the effect on speeds.

Consequently, it is with some sadness that we discover that Plusnet does not have any sort of offering which will allow us to take advantage of the improvements made by another arm of their parent company, and there is no guidance when this might be coming. 

So with heavy heart, we have started looking at the options available to us outside the Plusnet world, and will in due course be giving Plusnet notice to transfer our service elsewhere. 

Unless, of course someone can tell us something different which might give encouragement to change this decision...

4 REPLIES 4
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

Re: No option but to leave Plusnet?

@themclennans

PlusNet did have a long running FTTP Trial but this was closed to new applicants last year. It is expected they will offer a product at some point this year but until an announcement is made nobody knows for sure.

FTTP providers are few and far between. Until OpenReach ramped up their install program last year it was a niche service. Apart from PlusNet other providers may well start offering a product this year. I seem to recall Sky are propping a service.

Apart from BT, I believe Zen are the only major consumer ISP offering a service though there are smaller providers with an offering. You just have to search.

Your other option is too hold fire for now and see if PlusNet do get around to an offering.

Brian

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@bmc wrote:

@themclennans

It is expected they will offer a product at some point this year but until an announcement is made nobody knows for sure.

I have failed to pick up these vibes. I suspect that BT Retail will first want to get established as the BT prime FTTP supplier.

My guess is that until there is more budget end of the market competition Plusnet will be kept out by their masters. Where is the incentive if BT Retail are currently competitive with the other players?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

themclennans
Hooked

Baldrick1, my views are pretty much as yours. 

With nothing more than woolly comments to go on, I fear that if I sit around waiting for an FTTP offering from PlusNet to come on line, I could still be on speeds of 6-7Mb in 12 months time when we could have had over 100Mb in all that time - and when you are in a house where there are two kids in their early 20s regularly on Netflix, or gaming, with parents often watching catch-up TV, every Mb is precious!

With no realistic FTTP offering in sight from P/N, I feel that I am left with option but to talk to their big brother!

I suppose that at least in 18 months time, there might be a P/N offering, which might tempt us back!

Warwick
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 29

Hi @themclennans

Thanks for your enquiry about fibre to the premises. 

Unfortunately we aren't aware of when or if this product would become available as an available product.

I do understand your frustration and apologise for the inconvenience.