cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No modem. No Fibre. Please help.

stephenwatt98

No modem. No Fibre. Please help.

Hi,
I was meant to have fibre installed yesterday. When the engineer arrived he told me that Plusnet should have sent out a modem and not just a router. I called your customer service team and after a 20 minute wait was told:
1) That Openreach should provide the Modem. I have since contacted them and they have told me this is incorrect and that while this used to be the process for this order Plusnet should have provided the modem.
2) That a 'One' router/modem was on order and would be in first class post. It seems this is incorrect - I received a text this morning saying it would be 3-5 days. Clearly not first class.
3) When I tried to escalate and speak to a manager the member of staff told me that there would be a callback in 2-4 hours. It sounded like she said this to get me off the phone however I trusted her. No one has called me back.
Given the above I assume I will be without any broadband for 3-5 days need to work from home. Can you please help.
Thanks
Stephen Watt
Plusnet username: stephenwatt98
10 REPLIES 10
libbyf
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: No modem. No Fibre. Please help.

Only way to speed things up would be to go out and purchase a suitable modem/router of your own. Post takes as long as it takes.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Sorry to hear what's happened.
The router was dispatched last night and we'll get it to you as soon as we can.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: stephenwatt98
1) That Openreach should provide the Modem. I have since contacted them and they have told me this is incorrect and that while this used to be the process for this order Plusnet should have provided the modem.

I had the same issue with my recent upgrade, PlusNet supplied an old Sagemcom 2704N, and the Openreach engineer is no longer supplied with modems!!
fronty
Dabbler

Sounds like I was lucky then, Plusnet didn't send me a modem and the OR engineer said the ISP should have provided one, fortunately he had one in the van he gave me, it sounds like there has been a change in policy somewhere, I suspect it may be something to do with when people don't opt to buy the Plusnet router, they then assume the customer's router has a built in modem, which isn't always the case.
Notproudplusnet

I am in the same position. Have been since last Thursday when my line was installed. The eenginee told me there was a modem shortage and that plusnet had not issued them with any. Plusnet said they'd send me one. I then get an email telling me my router has been dispatched. So I ring on Friday to query this and they can't tell me what's been sent. So they then tell me they'll send me a hub one. A week later and no modem and no router. The installation engineers also called me saying they are under an obligation to finish the install or they don't get paid and so want to give me a modem. They arranged to have someone bring it me yesterday. They never showed up. So we have a three legged race and all the horses are one legged donkeys. I spoke to plusnet yesterday and they said they'd send another one so now we have another horse.
When plusnet tell you they are sending something it does not actually say that in the email. It says they are in the process of dispatching it. Nothing has ever actually been dispatched yet. I suspect there are a queue of people in the same boat and plusnet have seriously screwed up their supply chain.
Does anyone on here have a spare modem? Or a couple tin cans with string? That would be better than what we have right now.
dannyboy75
Rising Star

If you search eBay for ECI modem there are quite a few. There is one ending in four hours that's currently 8 pounds and free postage.
I know you shouldn't have to foot the bill for Plusnet's / BT's failings, but at least it would get you online.
fronty
Dabbler

Yep, loads on ebay, I'd just buy one then anything that arrives in the post from Plusnet just chuck it on ebay to get your money back...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xbt+openreach+...
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

A quick search found this suggesting that OR are may be being a bit premature (unless the phase-out date has been brought forwards - I couldn't find anything to say it had).
'Engineer Installation with Openreach Modem' is on the current OR price list and I'd imagine this is what Plusnet are still ordering.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
stephenwatt98

Still no Modem from Plusnet. I'm not sure what "dispatched" and "get it to you as soon as possible" mean in their world but it isn't the same as something being in first class mail for next day delivery that it means to the rest of us.
The fault seems to be with them (they have stopped ordering Modems from Openreach prematurely) but they don't exactly seem to be pulling out all of the stops to get it fixed. In fact the first time I called their customer service team last week (20 min wait to even speak to someone) I was told that a manager would call back in 2-4 hours. Never happened.
They don't even seem to be able to track the parcel with the new modem. I'm not going out and buying a new one - they have an obligation to sort this.
nightstalk3r
Rising Star

I received both the 2704N router and Hub One from Plusnet and both were delivered the day after they were dispatched.