cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet for nearly 2 weeks! (Existing customer)

No internet for nearly 2 weeks! (Existing customer)

Hi- frustrated Plusnet customer here!

I wonder if anyone has any experience or advice relating to a situation like the following?

On 17th December, our internet connection (Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra) completely stopped working out of the blue. The light on the router (Hub 1) changed from blue to orange. Since then, the router has frequently cycled between it’s blue and orange states, when it is in it’s blue state the router informs us that it is connected to the internet- but regardless of whether the light is blue or orange, it’s not possible to get any data from the internet at all- no webpages will load for example. This is true across all the devices we have tried, using both wifi and wired ethernet connections. Also with the router connected to the BT test socket via a microfilter.

When the router is showing the orange light, attempting to access a webpage will give an error saying “you are not connected to the internet”. When it’s showing a blue light, any webpage will return an error saying “cannot open the page because the server stopped responding”.

After raising the issue with Plusnet, we’ve had two BT engineers out who have tested the line up the house, checked the internal wiring, checked wiring at the junction box up the road, and found no fault that would explain the issue. The first engineer suggested a possible router fault- since then we have tried a third party router and received a new Hub 1 from Plusnet, neither of which have changed the situation in any way. The same engineer also installed a new master socket.

The second engineer suggested that the fault may be due to an authentication error at Plusnet- however Plusnet support have told us that this can’t be the issue- they said that if the router shows the blue light, then authentication has successfully taken place. 

We are now awaiting a visit from a third engineer who may be able to cast further light on the situation- however I wondered in the meantime if anyone here may have experienced the same thing and have any idea as to a potential cause?

As mentioned above, it’s been nearly 2 weeks since we’ve had any internet access and it’s getting extremely frustrating- plus the cost of mobile data top-ups is getting expensive!

3 REPLIES 3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: No internet for nearly 2 weeks! (Existing customer)

Bit late in the day I know but just a thought. You have been changing the cables between the socket and the router when you swapped them over. What do speed tests give you when you are connected? In line with expectation or diminishing as time goes on. What's the line like when disconnected? Noise or silence?

Sounds more like a cabinet fault. I had one of those a couple of years ago and it took 4 attempts before the fault was finally located. Of course it could be a loose bit of cabling along the way. Good luck.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?

Hi idonno-

Thanks for you response!

Your suggestions are much appreciated. In the past we have had intermittent service dropouts but nothing like the current outage. Prior to it happening, speed tests were generally showing very good results, close to the maximum we would expect- there was no reduction in speed I'm aware of before everything stopped working. We have also tried different cables between the router and master socket, including the new one which came with the new router- again no change.

Listening to the the line, there's no obvious noise- and the BT engineers who have visited have reported no issues with the line itself. It's all a bit of a puzzler- but when the next engineer comes I shall raise the possibilty of a cabinet fault with them. I do suspect that the issue is further down the the line somewhere. 

The problem appears to be solved!

A third telecom engineer came today and suggested that a "lift and shift" may be required.

He went off to do it and half an hour later everything works again.