cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet connection

sandrataylor51
Grafter

No internet connection

This morning around 1am my internet connection died.

I rebooted the router several times and tried ringing customer support only to find that they only work up to 10.30pm and had a very unhelpful message about getting information to help me from the website Angry

Obviously if I could get online I would not be ringing them.

I tried the status number and thee were no faults reported.

After about an hour I gave up and switched the pc off at about 2.15am

Soon after that I noticed that the lights were showing my connection was back on so I switched the computer on and I was connected.

I checked the upcoming outages page and saw that there were quite a few down time due to maintenance in various places but m exchange Nelson Lancashire was not listed.

I tried calling tech support and was informed of an approx. 45 minute wait so decided to see if anyone can help from the forum as I can not hold on the phone for 45 minutes or maybe longer.

I have always had at least 3 or 4 connection drops since going from ADSL to fibre two years since, even before moving to PlusNet but no one has been able to find the reason for those but they only usually last for one or two minutes. This is the first time it has been for over an hour.

Hopefully someone can pass this on to tech support and le me know what the reason was for my connection being down for so long this morning.

Thank you, Sandra

3 REPLIES 3
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: No internet connection

Hi there,

I've just been running diagnostic checks which haven't highlighted a cause for what you've mentioned.

I can see that the connection is dropping fairly frequently though so I'd advise reporting a fault with us: http://faults.plus.net

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
sandrataylor51
Grafter

Hi Adam,

Thanks for looking into it.

Unfortunately the continual line dropouts for a couple of minutes several times a day appears to be an unsolvable problem that I have had ever since getting fibre installed when I was with BT in mid 2014. They arranged several visits from Openreach engineers and changed my router just in case there was a fault that they could not detect and the faceplate of the box a couple of times, again they could not see a fault but changed it in case it was faulty. Then I moved to PlusNet, the dropouts became less frequent, instead of up to 4 times an hour they were only around 4 times a day most days that I observed them and again several more Openreach engineers were sent out by PlusNet to check and each one found everything to be perfect and all have said that there is no problem in my house or with the cabinet to the house or the exchange to the cabinet.

Apart from the disconnect for over an hour yesterday morning it has not caused me that much trouble as it did when I was with BT as I now have a static IP, when I was BT my IP could change every few minutes as each time the line dropped my IP changed, which made it impossible to run my server and BT would not provide a static IP without charging me for a business line and were so helpful that even though my exchange does not have the capability of up to 76mb fibre for my line they suggested I paid the extra monthly costs of upgrading to that to see if that solved the line drop problem Roll_eyes

That was the last straw for me with BT and when they announced the price increases art around the same time that allowed me to leave before the end of my 18 month contract without any penalty and I moved to PlusNet and paid the one off fee of £5 for the static IP option.

Given the numerous visits and checks over the last couple of years by various Openreach engineers do you think it is worth me waiting in all day again for another one to come and spend a couple of hours checking things only to then say everything is still checking out as being OK ?

Thanks again for you help,

Sandra

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

It's completely up to you. I'd personally only go down that path if it is causing issues for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team