cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet after 100 session exceeded message

Fossil
Hooked

No internet after 100 session exceeded message

New customer just got new router following switch from Talktalk (no connection problem ever). Having followed the instruction booklet blue light came on, all seemed well with WiFi. After 10 mins received the message exceeded 100 sessions, then no wifi. Searched online found a blog concerning the same problem which was solved by changing the following

Above the '100 sessions message',

"Click on Advanced Settings
Login with your admin password from the back of the router
Click on Continue to Advanced Settings
Select Broadband from the option above
Click Disconnect
Change the username to YourUsername@plusdsl.net
Change the password to your account password
And then click Connect
This should do the trick.

Had to reset the router as it stayed red. Now back to blue but still no WiFi.

Plus when I try to connect using my smart phone it keeps asking for sign in. Which I do but still nothing.
11 REPLIES 11
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Re: No internet after 100 session exceeded message

Hello, a warm welcome to the forums.

A key question - have you received a SMS (or other communication) advising that your service with Plusnet has been activated?

The resolution you describe (and the smart phone experience) suggests that the router does not have the correct user name and password for the broadband service, or your account has not been (fully?) activated.  If you have been advised that the service has migrated and that the account has been activated, then in the first instance you should follow the instructions for resetting the router.

Are you on an ADSL (broadband) or a FTTC (fibre) service?  Were you on the same type of service with TT?  There are additional complexities in switching from LLU suppliers to pure BT based services.  Sometimes BT forget to make key changes in the exchange.  Do you have a dial tone on the phone line?  If you dial 17070 does it correctly report your phone number?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Fossil
Hooked

Hi,
I received a confirmation email saying broadband is ready "Your fibre broadband's ready to go". I've checked the phone line as you suggested and there is a dialing tone.and I also tested using the number you suggested. I was on fiber with TT and switched to fiber. Admin pw was not accepted when I tried connecting firestick, not box has an orange light even after turning it off.
Fossil
Hooked

Up date finally got a blue light after doing a factory reset twice. But when I try to connect it keeps sending me to the admin management page as it says I have to sign in to the Wifi network. The page says connected and lists devices but our mobile phones and fire stick are not listed. Why does it keep directing me to the admin page?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

To be clear, you have three “passwords”.

Your account / dsl password which needs to go into the internet settings in the router but should auto configure after a factory reset. Does your account password contain any special characters. I seem to recall that the BT routers (HH5a in Plusnet livery) dislike some permited characters in passwords.

There is the Wi-Fi passcode which is required to connect devices to the router (which is not the same as they connecting to the internet).

Then there is the router admin password which is required to access the configuration screens in the router set up on 192.268.1.254

If connection attempts are broken Ning up a password page then that suggests that the router has not established the PPP session which requires your dsl / account ID and password.

If auto configuration has failed you will need to log in to the router and set them up manually as per the enclosed documentation.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Fossil
Hooked

Hi I didn't change the default password left it as supplied. I did change the account name initially to my own account name initially to try to fix the 100 session exceeded message, but I had to reset using the factory reset as none of us could connect to the WiFi. The router no longer accepts the passwords supplied.Can I post screenshots?
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@Fossil - yes you can, but obscure any 'personal' information - this is an open forum.

John
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre Broadband.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Fossil
Hooked

Update, ok my daughter sorted it by replacing the default account and pw with my personal accounts details and WiFi seems to be ok and stable.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

WiFi will always have been stable, that’s the connection between your devices and the router, which your daughter will have used to change the settings. Your problem appears to have been the router self configuration for the broadband uplink.

Fossil
Hooked

Thanks everyone for your messages. With my wife being a teacher having a working broadband is important. I still don't understand why I received the 100 sessions message in the beginning as the WiFi was ok until this happened?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It is not clear what / where this issue was being encountered, but elsewhere it has been reported a few times - see Solved: 100 Sessions - BT Community and Sessions number....what does it mean - BT Community - it somewhat looks like an internal issue with the BT HH5a routers.  See also SOLVED No more than 100 sessions allowed.... - Plusnet Community

It is also not entirely clear from your descriptions "WiFi was / was not working" if you really meant that the WiFi was not working (completely unable to connect to the WiFi network and access the router) or if you simply meant that you could not connect to the internet.  All too often people say their wifi is not working, when in fact it is the broadband uplink which is not working.

The solution you describe points to the broadband log in to Plusnet not self configuring correctly.  If the router still has the default account name, it will not make a proper connection to the internet.  Why that gives rise to the 100 session message is not clear, it implies that the router has got itself confused internally.