cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No internet access

shushyb99
Hooked

No internet access

Switched from Virgin to Plusnet on 10th November.  Has been an absolute nightmare.  No phone or broadband for 7 days, Then I got the broadband working but no phone. Have had visits from 4 different engineers - each one gives me a different story and there is no continuity. They just arrive with a worksheet which has no details of what has been done previously. The last one yesterday fixed the phone line so I can now make and receive calls, but now I have no internet connection!  It seems I can have one or the other but not both.

Spent an hour and a half last night on the phone to Plusnet support who had no idea how to fix the problem and are now sending me a new router.  The existing router has a blue light and my laptop says it is connected but when I try to open an internet page I get the following page coming up from BT. I get the same message when using the ethernet cable too.

Apparently the Plusnet technical team have never come across this before.  Has anyone else seen this page coming up on their PC. I have no problem connecting to my friend's broadband network so it isn't my PC.

Next week it will be a month since I switched and I still don't have the phone & broadband service I signed up for.  If it isn't fixed within the next 7 days I am going to give written notice to Plusnet to cancel my contract and lodge a formal complaint and also contact Ofcom. Quite frankly I wish I had never moved from Virgin.......

SERVICE INFORMATION

You have been connected to this page due to one of the following reasons. You must now shut down your internet browser and internet applications before attempting to reconnect. This may clear the issue immediately, if not then please select the appropriate action from list below.

1. Your service provider is currently unable to accept your connection request, please wait and reattempt later or contact your service provider for more information.
    Or
  2. You have attempted to access an invalid Service Provider domain, check your user details.
    Or
  3. You are testing your connection using bt_test_user@startup_domain. Please proceed to next step as advised by your Service Provider
    Or
  4. You are testing your connection to your service provider using bt_test_user@domain. where "domain" is your Service Provider domain name. Please proceed to next step as advised by your Service Provider.
    Or
  5. The access circuit to your Service Provider is currently down. Your service should be resumed soon. Please try again later or contact your Service Provider 

Page maintained by BTWholesale
5 REPLIES 5
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: No internet access

Its a cross jumpering issue, and yes Plusnet have seen it before, but its not that common so some of the support staff may not have encountered it.

Last time this happened @Gandalf managed to get is sorted for the user.

The error message means you're connected to a port provisioned with another ISP but you're trying to authenticate with Plusnet credentials, so its giving you the BT Wholesale page instead.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cross jumpering is just one of the reasons why one might see the BT Wholesale service info page.

I'll take a closer look when I'm in the office tomorrow. Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

As @mikelahey suspected, our line tests are detecting a potential jumpering problem at the cabinet.

I've raised a broadband fault with our suppliers and we'll be in touch when we've got more info.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
shushyb99
Hooked

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Two more Openreach engineers worked on the problem yesterday and at long last I appear to have both broadband and a working landline.Fingers crossed I have no more issues. Thanks for your input.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I'm glad to hear the problem is resolved!

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet