Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No guaranteed speed

FIXED
morgadams
Dabbler

No guaranteed speed

Hello everyone,

My account doesn't have a guaranteed speed since I moved to fibre extra. Tbh looking at the speed I'm not sure it's increased at all. Is this common and is there a solution?

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: No guaranteed speed

@morgadams 

Your screen shot states that you are connected at 80 Mbps.. What speed do you get with a computer connected to yout router through an Ethernet cable? Guarenteed speed is only relevant when compared with this result. If you are connected at 80 Mbps your measured speed should be in the 70s

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

morgadams
Dabbler

Thanks for your reply.

Wired ps4 reads it as 34mb, router states 40000kbps. A speed test on the pc (although on WiFi) also says 34mb. Not got a network cable long enough to run to the desktop tbh.
Baldrick1

@morgadams 

This doesn't sound good. Are you by any chance on a fixed IP address? If so it could be that Plusnet have not lifted the cap on their servers.

What maximum speed is your line capable of, what do you get if you put your phone number in here? https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL ? It could also be that your line is only capable of giving you a marginal increase.

What I don't understand is why Plusnet claim that your current speed is 80Mbps, but they do report things at times in mysterious ways!

Moderator and Customer

morgadams
Dabbler

Here's the screenshot of the link. Looks like it should be connecting faster (if I'm reading it correctly). 

Baldrick1

@morgadams 

I agree. Have you done the basic tests?

1. Take the front off your BT master socket. You may need to remove two screws, the newer model just clips on, to expeose the Test socket.

2. Plug a wired phone into the Test Socket and do a quiet line test by ringing 17070 and selecting Option 2. If there's any noise then report a phone, not broadband fault.

3.  Plug a filter in the Test socket and connect to your router. Do a speed test over an Ethernet cable. If it's still low then either report a broadband fault or wait for a Plusnet staffer to come along and pick it up. Unfortunately due to Covid 19 speed faults seem to be going on the back burner at the moment so it might take a while to get it looked at.

If it's still low leave it connected to the Test Socket until Plusnet complete their checks.

Moderator and Customer

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Fix

Thanks for getting in touch @morgadams

It looks like the upgrade wasn't put through on our supplier's end.

I've put this through for you now and you should see an improvement from tomorrow

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
morgadams
Dabbler

Cheers for all your help with this.
morgadams
Dabbler

Ah nice one, thanks for your help.