cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No fibre broadband since 14th July

kezwit

No fibre broadband since 14th July

Bit of a cry for help. Just desperate for internet back now. Any pointers or "me too!" would be a help. I'm on FTTC.

Planned maintenance happened 14th July and we lost internet. From what I picked up from various openreach engineers that have attended since, we somehow got moved from one green cab to another further away, thinking it would improve our speeds.

Modem is still happily in sync with good speeds - the usual 40/2 for us with no errors BUT no PPP. Timeout waiting for PADO packets is what I see in my trusty TP-Link router. Some kind of weird authentication (lack of) fault.

Tried 3 routers, 3 modems (one new Openreach modem the last engineer just left), 3 microfilters (including new faceplate engineer just installed), 3 RJ11 cables, 3 RJ45 cables between modem and router. Also tried a laptop with PPPoE directly out through the Openreach modem. Both my credentials and bt_test@startup_domain just timeout and return error 651. Obviously tried resetting plusnet password on website factory resets and double checking username over the phone to support.

Lost count the number of Openreach guys that have gone to the cab and the exchange to try various things. 4 engineers to the property, 2 never showed up. Last one turned up unannounced today (although a welcome surprise). 2 hour visit and no joy. Very helpful and did speak to Plusnet on my behalf.

Faults so far have included the being moved from one cab to another in error, loose pair fault, wrong port in the cab, routing issue, underground fault (really?) and no sync (but I do have sync). They also had a bridge case raised with Openreach whatever that was about.

Plusnet had to cease my line and reprovision it to move back to the right cab. Rejected orders and whatnot so that took a while.

It's got so silly now that Plusnet have just decided to send me out a replacement modem/router. Is 3 and a laptop not enough already? Crazy. 6 weeks on and I am still with exactly the same symptoms as I had when this all started.

Already bad enough but having to wait up to an hour to get through via chat or the phone each time. Wasting hours and hours of my time chasing Plusnet to chase Openreach getting absolutely nowhere.

Does this all sound familiar to someone?

Help! ezwi

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

6 REPLIES 6
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: No fibre broadband since 14th July

Depending on whether you are still in contract one option would be to migrate away to one of the broadband providers that are allegedly more pro-active at getting problems resolved such as Andrews and Arnold (aaisp). It will cost you quite a bit more but quoting from their website:

We'll fix your line even if you are with another ISP!

If you are migrating your service to us, even though you know you have a problem with your line, we'll take on the fault. We'll tackle the problem and get it fixed within one month. If we don't then you can migrate away and owe us nothing for your migration to us and your service charges for that month.

I understand that they also promptly answer the telephone.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

The PADO timeout errors are indicative of a fault between the green cab and the rest of the BTW network
The router is in sync so the physical connection is working between the router and the cab. The error indicates that there is no connectivity between the cab and the BT Wholesale network. It's only something that BTW / Openreach can sort out I'm afraid.
Are any of your neighbors with fibre connections also offline? As it may be that there is some equipment that's failed in the network.
kezwit

Thanks for the suggestion.  Not sure how I didn't know about Andrews & Arnold, especially working in my line of work as an IT MSP.  Stumbled on them a few weeks ago while looking for troubleshooting bits and pieces.  Quite expensive but then you do get what you pay for!  Plusnet started the ball rolling with looking to release me out of my contract so I might take a closer look at them if it is still not fixed in a couple of weeks.  2 months with no fix is probably a fair amount of time to give them to fix it.

kezwit

As for suggesting the fault is between the cab and BTW network, spot on I think.  Most of the faults have come back with MFL: LN (local network).  Last guy I spoke to on Saturday afternoon at Plusnet seemed to have a genuine understanding of my problem and said he'd been working there a while and seen a lot.  He's added to the ticket "no sync but sync seen at customer side" which nobody else seems to have believed nor passed on.

Apparently our cab is very congested so not sure on whether other connections have the same problems, but nobody in our local neighbourhood that I'm aware of.  I still don't get how Openreach managed to move us from one cabinet to another without a cease and reprovision.  Last engineer didn't believe me until he checked all the records.

Ironically enough, I called Saturday morning and it was the same lady that answered and passed my ticket through to him that picked up my call to the original fault 6 weeks ago.  Same symptoms, same fault results.  Talk about going round in circles...

kezwit

Feel a bit silly posting now but finally fixed (sigh of relief).

The last Openreach engineer was here for over 2 and a half hours this evening and finally got to the bottom of it.  We'd been "double-jumpered" in the cab.  After they ceased our line and reprovisioned it, our fibre was still connected to the ceased port.  Explains why we were seeing sync but data wasn't going anywhere, nor were they seeing anything their end.  The double-jumpering bit went over my head but I get the ceased port bit.

Given the history of this, I doubt anyone will get this same problem but hey ho, just in case.  Customer sees sync but ISP does not + no PPP/login, could well be something like this.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I'm sorry to see that issue became a bit epic at best! Glad to see it's been sorted though.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team