cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No fibre available but neighbours can???

timfibre
Dabbler

No fibre available but neighbours can???

Hi all.

We moved into our new home nearly two years ago.  At our previous house we had Plusnet fibre.  When we moved fibre wasn't available in the new home.  It is a new build in a small country village.

We had to switch to ADSL broadband, with the view to upgrade to fibre when it became available.  Nearly two years later there seems to be an issue with the line we are connected to?

Our neighbours can get fibre broadband, houses that were completed before and after us.  I have checked with the ADSL checker from BT Wholesale, it just says we are on Telephone Number *********** on Exchange CLARBESTON.  No cabinet info at all.

We want to take out fibre when we are due to renew but am frustrated by the lack of info and what people (companies) are doing.

Has anyone had any simular issues and if so, were they resolved.  Also, would Plusnet be able to look into this for us?Huh

Yours hopefully.

timfibre

16 REPLIES 16
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: No fibre available but neighbours can???

@timfibre 

Try the Address version of the DSL Checker

http://www.dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome#

Enter only your Post Code and you should get a list of addresses back so you can not only check your own but neighbouring properties.

Brian

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@timfibre  Try this. It lists all postcodes and cabinets. I suspect your line is an exchange one, and there are a few codes which are mixed.

There's no telling how lines are routed.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting in touch @timfibre 

I'm sorry to see you're unable to get fibre at your current address. Unfortunately your line is connected directly into the exchange which is the reason there's no cabinet number showing on the BT checker.

I'm querying this with Openreach to find out if there are any plans to move your line to a fibre enabled cabinet and I should receive an email response within the next 3 working days, I'll update you when I know more.

If you'd like to do the same I'd recommend filling out this formwize: https://www.formwize.openreach.co.uk/run/survey3.cfm?idx=505d040e0b080d which will open a dialogue with Openreach via email when they get back to you.

I hope this helps.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
timfibre
Dabbler

I have looking in to the other properties in my close, they are on a cabinet and my line is saying exchange?Huh

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @timfibre 

I've received the following response from Openreach this morning, it doesn't look like it's good news I'm afraid Sad

Having investigated our network data, I have found that we are not able to supply your customer with Fibre service from our existing network. There are no projects to move this customer to a fibre enabled cabinet either.

Regrettably, your customer’s property is not included in the current fibre rollout. One option for your customer to consider is getting together with their neighbours or local community group and raising the money to help build the network. We offer a community fibre partnership scheme where we work with local communities to find a fibre solution. We cannot always guarantee this will be feasible but we would be willing to look at it if your customer is interested. Further information can be found at https://communityfibre.openreach.co.uk 

I am sorry that I am unable to give a more positive response at this time.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
timfibre
Dabbler

Thanks.

I have filled out the form and sent to Openreach.  Hope to egt an few more details in the coming days.

bmc
Hero

@timfibre 

If the properties on either side of you show they are connected to the Exchange then it may simply be an OpenReach records problem with your property having the wrong details.

Brian

timfibre
Dabbler

Not good newst at all Sad

I would expect new build properties to be connected to a fibre cabinet.  Some were built before this one, and some after and they have fibre!

We don't have mobile signal and uplaod speed is so bad a Vodafone sure sigal won't even work.  Modern tech!!

Thank you for trying.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Thanks for getting back to us @timfibre 

No problem, I've emailed Openreach back to advise that your neighbours can get fibre requesting that they check for any potential records issue. Will let you know when/if I receive a response back.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hi @timfibre 

Yesterday I received a response back from our suppliers advising that the DP(Distribution Point) your line and your immediate neighbours(6, 7, 8 ) are connected to is fed directly from the exchange and not through a cabinet I'm afraid. Sad

Moderators Note: Post corrected at staff request.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

Hi @timfibre

As Openreach's infrastructure cannot support FTTC or FTTP for your property, perhaps you could investigate mobile 4G data as an option improve on ADSL.

Three, EE and Vodafone all now do unlimited data plans.

Check the respective networks coverage on their websites and buy a PAYG SIM card to test the coverage and speeds before committing to a contract.

Regards

Richard 

bmc
Hero

@timfibre 

I would Register an interest in Fibre with OpenReach (and get your neighbours to do the same).

https://www.openreach.com/

While it's unlikely to prod them into action for a few addresses you never know!!!

Brian

timfibre
Dabbler

Hi @RichardB 

Unfortunately this isn’t something we can do as there is no mobile signal at the house either.😢

Thanks for your reply 👍

timfiber.

timfibre
Dabbler

Thanks @bmc 

I am currently looking in to this, Openreach have the community fibre partnership.  But it looks like it might be expensive.

Thanks.

timfiber.