Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No dial tone and slow fibre speeds

Leki
Dabbler

No dial tone and slow fibre speeds

Hi
I've just noticed my phone line does not have a dial tone and I don't think it has ever worked since I changed to plusnet a month ago. I don't often use it for making calls and have only just been told by someone who has been trying to phone me and wondering why I don't answer. So I have been missing calls from scammers and telemarketers all this time. I have done all checks on my side.
Also my internet speeds are much slower with Plusnet, I only get 57Mbit download and my ping is 4 or 5ms higher than usual. I have had fibre with both talktalk and zen internet before and got speeds of 76Mbit download with them.
I got an email from you after 14 days of being live saying:
When you signed up for your broadband account, we performed a check on your telephone line to give you an estimated speed your line might achieve.
Now that your service has now been active for 14 days, we thought we'd let you know the speed as it stands today, by way of comparison.
Estimated line speed: 4Mbps
Current line speed: 78Mbps

I have recently changed modem and router and still have poor speeds and have done all tests on my end.
I tried to use the online chat to report the problem but he just told me to use the phone tool https://portal.plus.net/my-account/tools/phone-troubleshooter to report the fault but that just checks for a few minutes and then says
It looks like something has gone wrong. Our award-winning support team are here to help.
Call us on 0800 432 0200"

I tried to call your award winning support team but after 30 minutes on hold having to listen to a guy basically saying "sorry for the wait, please have my username and password ready" about 200 times I could not take it any more and had to hang up and decided to post here instead.
Please can I have the phone line fixed and also have my fibre DLM profile reset while that is being done to try and improve my speeds.
Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: No dial tone and slow fibre speeds

I've raised the phone fault to our suppliers and it should be fixed by the end of Friday.
With regards to your speeds DLM isn't the cause here. Your profile is "0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off" and your syncing at 61mbps.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Leki
Dabbler

Quote from: Matthew
I've raised the phone fault to our suppliers and it should be fixed by the end of Friday.

Thanks
Quote from: Matthew
With regards to your speeds DLM isn't the cause here. Your profile is "0.128M-80M Downstream, Retransmission Low - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off" and your syncing at 61mbps.

With Talktalk and Zen i could sync at 80mbps down and 20mbps up and my ping was 4 or 5ms lower.
Can you change my profile to Retransmission off?
Are DLM profiles still set like this http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/5929-reminder-about-the-reality-of-dlm-on-openreach-fttc.html ; ....if so what is my profile currently set to and can it be set to "speed"
Can G.INP be disabled?
Thanks.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

We can't reset DLM profiles I'm afraid.
That can only be done by a engineer and even then only if its as part of fixing  a fault.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Leki
Dabbler

Well while the BT openreach engineer is connecting my phone line at the exchange can't he just do a quick DLM reset too....surely it will only take him 5 mins since he is already there dealing with the phone fault and it can be part of that.
Also can I get an answer to my other questions above.
Thanks.
dick:quote
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Well while the BT openreach engineer is connecting my phone line at the exchange can't he just do a quick DLM reset to

No, for two good reasons though.
Phone engineers aren't able to go anywhere near broadband equipment, the other reason being that DLM is entirely automated for fibre.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team