Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No connection after power cut

FIXED
Dan92
Dabbler

No connection after power cut

I’ve been with Plusnet since January and recently we’ve been having a spate of short power cuts in my area. Literally 10-20 seconds max and the only reason I even notice it is because I hear the microwave beep when the power comes back on.

This happened yesterday evening and initially the Internet seemed to work once power came back on. About 10pm it stopped working. Orange light on the hub and the broadband light showing up orange intermittently. Did a few resets and nothing improved so I left the router overnight and I’m still disconnected today.

The settings showed I was still synced to the cabinet as I was able to see my sync speed however when trying to connect it would get stuck at ‘PPP connecting.’ Spoke to technical support this morning who advised me to try the resetting etc with no joy. They came to the assumption the power cut had knackered my router. Surely if this was the case my router wouldn’t work at all. Furthermore my other low powered devices in the house are all fine and not showing any signs of damage from a possible power surge. Plusnet are sending me a new hub but I don’t think this will fix the problem. I grabbed a spare router (I know this one works) from my parents house this evening and even it refused to connect after I entered my details.

I now have to wait 3-5 days for a new hub to turn up and even then I don’t think it’s going to solve the problem. Is there any way for someone from a higher tier of technical support to look into alternative causes whilst I’m waiting for this hub to arrive? The fact that I’m still syncing to the street cab suggests this may be a fault with Plusnet or Openreach and not my equipment.
13 REPLIES 13
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: No connection after power cut

Thanks for reaching out.

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems after a power cut.

Our tests aren't showing the cause for this and as you've tried a different router we'd need to arrange an engineer visit to investigate further. Could you report a fault at http://faults.plus.net letting us know over here once you've done this. We'll then pick this back up as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dan92
Dabbler

Hey Gandalf

Thanks for getting back to me. I’ve tried reporting the fault but I keep getting an error message asking me to try again later. Is there any other way to do it?
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hey Dan, It looks like the fault came through to us despite the error.

I've just added a reply to your support ticket: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=191677626

Nudge us over here once you've responded and we'll make sure to pick it up ASAP.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dan92
Dabbler

Hey Anoush,

I’ve updated the help ticket.

Thanks
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Hey Dan

I've got you booked in for an engineer visit tomorrow afternoon.

Let us know how it goes once they've been

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dan92
Dabbler

I’ve had an update from Openreach this afternoon. I saw them working at the cabinet on the street as it is less than 50m from my house. They didn’t actually come to the house (meaning I didn’t have to take half a day off work) but they did call to say that there was a fault within the exchange and it was affecting BT wholesale customers in the area (BT, Plusnet and EE) and not just my broadband.

They said they’re working on a fix but it may not be until tomorrow Sad
RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 75

Hi @Dan92

The engineer notes on that one do indeed seem to suggest that further work is required.

I'll take a look at this for you tomorrow when I come into the office at 2pm and let you know any updates as they come in.

Obviously, if you hear anything prior to that, feel free to post updates here.

Best wishes

Dave

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Dan,

Looks like an engineer reattended this at around 9pm last night but still hasn't been able to get this resolved.

I'll keep tracking this for you throughout the day and provide any updates as they come in.

Thanks for your patience whilst our suppliers get this sorted for you.

Best wishes

Dave

RandallFlagg
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Dan,

Apologies for the delayed response, I saw that you'd contacted one of my colleagues and decided to leave this yesterday due to a lack of engineer updates - I've checked in again on this one today and can confirm that the work is still ongoing - it seems to be a wider issue than just your connection unfortunately.

I'll keep checking this throughout tomorrow and hopefully we'll see some progress towards resolution.

Take care

Dave

Dan92
Dabbler

Hi Dave

Yeah I called up to see if they had an ETA from Openreach but nothing yet. I did see them back at the street cabinet yesterday although not sure if that’s related as I understand the problem lies within the exchange.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there, 

I've just chased this again, the engineer notes add weight to this being an exchange issue so the fault is back with Openreach infrastructure teams and we should have a further update by the end of the day on Monday at the latest. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Dan92
Dabbler

Hi Dave

Just come home to find my hub happily glowing blue! Can you confirm if the fault is now fixed?

Also, what are the chances of me getting some credit on my bill given that I was 9 days without service?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Fix

It looks like it has been indeed, that's really good to see!

Sure, I've just updated your account to confirm a refund for the time without service, here's a direct link to it: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=191677626 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team