No broadband usage being reported

FIXED
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: No broadband usage being reported

@SpendLessTime Wow!! Crazy3

Genuinely shocked to read that.

I admit this was some time a go, but when BT stuffed their usage monitor up, at least they had the decency to waiver their penalty (£5 per 5GB) charge for those on a limited connection that couldn't see their actual usage.

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

@Strat wrote:

Don't normally gateway hop but just done it out of curiosity.

I hopped from PCN-BNG03 Colindale to PSB-BNG02 Southbank and usage is starting to show.

Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

@SpendLessTime wrote:

@alastairmonk

Because Plusnet will still charge you for any extra you use even if you cannot see your own usage.

Really? Has this happend to anyone or speculation? 

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

It has happened. User had to complaint to get money refunded (someone actually checked their own bill) BUT no effort has been made to correct issue going forward.

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
Robot
Grafter

I've been a customer for a good few years, still on the 'Plusnet Value' limited tariff, and with a dynamic IP address, and I haven't seen my usage figures since some time in December either. This is getting past a joke, if it has ever been one.

Without Plusnet's meter, there is no realistic way for me to measure and control my usage, so any excess charge is at best unfair practice.

SpendLessTime
Hero

@Robot

You have a legitimate cause for complaint as Plusnet are not providing the tools to manage your account. I would suggest that you raise a formal complaint as Plusnet's inaction (in public at least) is worrying and could be financially disadvantageous to yourself.

Link to the complaints procedure is  https://www.plus.net/help/legal/complaints-code-of-practice/

Robot
Grafter

Thank you for that link. I raised a ticket on 16th January, someone (name withheld to protect the guilty) said "Rest assured – you are on an unlimited usage package, so there is no risk of any extra usage charges.", and only when I queried that, was the goof recognised and corrected. I suppose had I not done that, and Plusnet had charged me if I went over my allowance, I could have had them for breach of contract. 

The promise made then was "Sorry for any inconvenience caused in the meantime and we hope to have the usage page back up and running as soon as we can." But that was nearly 6 weeks ago, surely enough time to sort out a problem that could land Plusnet in deep water Trading Standards-wise?

I'll give them another couple of weeks (until 16th March, probably) and then write a genuine paper letter, which is a lot harder to ignore.

BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 7

Perhaps a silly question: if someone is on a limited tariff, how do PlusNet measure their usage when the usage page isn't showing anything?

In other words: a) is the problem just that the usage page isn't picking up and displaying records from a monitor somewhere? Or b) does the billing system use a different monitor? Or c) do PlusNet have no idea what the usage actually is?

I have a memory that I saw somewhere on this forum (I haven't found the link) that there was an incompatibility between the usage monitor and the new network which suggests that the answer is c), unless limited tariff users haven't been transferred.  But, in the abstract, my guess would have been a), otherwise there would be more activity to solve the problem.

SpendLessTime
Hero

Staff have access to the usage figures as has been demonstrated by several requests in this forum in the last few weeks.

Why the values cannot be shown to the customers is something only PN staff will know and probably a commercial secret. Smiley

Robot
Grafter

Indeed, it appears that there are (at least) two systems: My "historic" - meaning up to the most recent billing date, is reported. That's informative, but not useful. My present usage does appear to be available to the staff, because they offered to tell me via a ticket from data in their "secondary" system. So I guess "secondary" = accounting & billing.

So would it be impossible to update the figures each midnight? It wouldn't be totally satisfactory, but it would help.

SpendLessTime
Hero

@Robot

Have the staff agreed to email you daily with the new values?

Or is it just a one off to this request? 

If it is not daily then how can they expect you to manage your usage limit?

I find myself shrugging my shoulders more as the days go on with the lack of fixes to issues affecting clients and their billing. 

Robot
Grafter

@SpendLessTime wrote:

@Robot

Have the staff agreed to email you daily with the new values?

Or is it just a one off to this request?

I understood that I needed to raise a ticket each time. To be honest, they've made that almost impossible to find, so it makes it difficult (on purpose?).

@SpendLessTime wrote:

@Robot

If it is not daily then how can they expect you to manage your usage limit?

Like this?Like this?

jkg
Dabbler

Mine has started recording since 07 Mar. 2017:

Capture.PNG

SpendLessTime
Hero

@jkg

Mine started a month ago after I changed gateways a few times. But the issue is still there for a large number of the available gateways.

Robot
Grafter

No such luck for me. I'm 2 days short of the end of my billing month, and I've absolutely no idea of how far I'm into my allowance.

It's 2 months since I first raised a ticket about this. I'm contemplating getting into contact with Sheffield Trading Standards to get their opinion regarding the fairness of the quota and any charges arising should I exceed it, given that there's no practical way of me ascertaining my usage. 

As it is, I'm sitting up until after midnight when I have a large download or upload to do, so as to do it when the quota doesn't apply. It makes for some bleary eyes the next day.