cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No broadband for 36 hours - no update since fault reported 28 hours ago.

nothappy
Dabbler

No broadband for 36 hours - no update since fault reported 28 hours ago.

I have to say that this is appaling  customer service.
Lost broadband connection 9.30am Sunday, we waited for it to come back on and then we did the Broadband Troubleshooter thing and ticket raised 28 hour's ago.
So no response whatsoever.
Why can't the fault be seen from their end and what are you doing today if anything?
A response from a human being would be appreciated.
12 REPLIES 12
Terranova667
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: No broadband for 36 hours - no update since fault reported 28 hours ago.

Hi, ISPs don't monitor individual lines So Plusnet would have no idea you have a problem unless you report it, even then once reported it's 72 hours before support update the ticket, it's a long time to wait i know i have been in that place myself a couple of times but that's how it is, if you haven't heard anything after 72 hrs then contact Plusnet again either by phone/ live chat / or try the forum again.
Andrue
Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: Terranova667
Hi, ISPs don't monitor individual lines.
Well, <i>most</i> don't. There is one ISP which does and that's AAISP. Unfortunately that level of service is reflected in the price. You might also get that from an ISP if you pay for a business package but even then I'd only expect it on a leased line covered by an SLA.
It's interesting and not entirely surprising that we're seeing an increase in people expecting business type service levels from consumer ISPs. I suppose it's the result of the internet being such a central part of everyone's lives these days. I wonder if ISPs will eventually have to accommodate this by improving their service levels at some point. That's going to put serious pressure on their margins. Current consumer prices simply aren't high enough for most ISPs to run that kind of operation.
Unfortunately I think the opposite problem is more likely. This article shows that some in the business community think they are paying too much:
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/i/7347.html
Seems like everyone wants the world for the price of a pebble  Roll_eyes
nothappy
Dabbler

Well they do monitor something as you can always access your account and get a detailed breakdown of the broadband usage.
Andrue
Pro

Not really. There is a device on their network through which all our traffic passes. That device makes a note of how much traffic has passed per account and stores it in a database. Nothing happens in reaction to it, the information is just there to be looked at and for probably 99% of accounts it never is looked at. There is a separate device which periodically queries that information for certain account types looking for usage above a certain level. For those account types it might send an email out if the usage is too high but that's about all.
mav:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: nothappy
Well they do monitor something as you can always access your account and get a detailed breakdown of the broadband usage.

So when I totally power down my router and modem for a fortnight while I'm away on holiday they should treat that as a fault and send an engineer?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
nothappy
Dabbler

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!
Don't be so stupid, how can a 'bright spark' get it all so wrong?
adie:quote
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm afraid it's you that has got it wrong. The point is what could they monitor? If a line goes dead it means absolutely nothing. If it starts flapping it means nothing - there could be power issues in the area. Some people turn their router off when they are not using it.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

jelv/spoon whittler is correct. Although we have connection logs we can look at, we have no way of knowing whether someone is offline by choice (holiday etc) or due to a fault, which is why we need faults reporting to us.
Your connection log doesn't look good:

Testing the broadband comes back with:  Voice fault suspected - contact Voice CP to progress copper issue
Testing the phone line shows: Test Result: Fail - Fault located at customer apparatus
Is there any noise on your phone line? Are you plugged in to the master socket (test socket is preferable) with no extension leads?
As it's showing that the phone line is the fault here it's likely to need an engineer visit to resolve, so we need to make sure that everything is set up correctly internally.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
nothappy
Dabbler

Thanks Chris, all sorted now.   Smiley
Tried plugging telephone into test socket, no interference.
Checked all cable's on everything, nothing has been disturbed at all for month's and I cannot find any faults.
There's a long cable that runs from the modem to router, so to eliminate that  we place them side by side with a short cable and the broadband is back on.  Smiley
So it must be the long cable at fault,  but we put the router back to where it's normally connected to the modem with the long cable and the broadband is still working.   Shocked
It turns out to be a faulty switch that's plugged into one of the Lan ports on the router, as soon as it's plugged back in the broadband goes off again.

dannyboy75
Rising Star

Humble pie for dinner tonight then OP Smiley
Andrue
Pro

Quote from: nothappy
It turns out to be a faulty switch that's plugged into one of the Lan ports on the router, as soon as it's plugged back in the broadband goes off again.
Hah. There must be something going around. I had one of my gigabit switches fail on Monday. I suspect it might have been failing for quite some time as the A/V equipment that connects through it has been slightly 'glitchy' for a couple of months now. Anyway it's good to hear that you're back up and running.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

All the OP said was that they do monitor something.
How that turned into him/her having to eat humble pie or him/her saying that PN should treat it as a fault when someone is away on holiday I have no idea.