Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No VDSL sync on router but BT Wholesale test shows in sync

FIXED
disk0
Grafter
Fixes: 1

No VDSL sync on router but BT Wholesale test shows in sync

Lost sync on my router in the earlier hours whilst studying, do did some troubleshooting before the support team started at 8am;

Different filter

Different VDSL modem router - all show no sync

Call to support this morning shows my line in sync and failing authentication

I'm not convinced an Openreach engineer will be able to resolve this - I think its a problem back at the local exchange?

Any assistance from the mods appreciated Smiley

9 REPLIES 9
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: No VDSL sync on router but BT Wholesale test shows in sync

So how do you think an exchange fault is going to be fixed without an Openreach engineer?

Also how is BTW test showing you in sync?

Can you post pics of the router Help Desk page and BTW test?

adam945
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 113

Hi @disk0

Thanks for reaching out, I've just had a look at the notes on the account and can see that you have an engineer appointment scheduled for tomorrow morning.

Let's wait for the engineer to at least attempt to resolve the problems on your line before assuming that they won't be able to Smiley

Feel free to give us a shout tomorrow if you continue to have issues after the engineer appointment.

Adam
 Plusnet Help Team - Leeds
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@disk0 are you using the router we supplied you with?

You changed your password recently, which also changes the password your router requires to connect to the Internet.

I can't be sure what's happening at the moment, but I can see for certain that this morning there was nothing wrong with your broadband connection. It was in sync and failing authentication because the password was incorrect. An engineer isn't going to fix that.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

disk0
Grafter

I have used the router you sent me, a BT Homehub and a Draytek Vigor 130 VDSL modem - none of them sync, changed the NTE faceplace with integrated filter - no sync

Yet when plusnet support ran the intrusive line test it shows sync so clearly there is something incorrect in the exchange but what changed at 2:30am in the morning is anyone's guess.

I have not changed my password or altered my router settings so unsure what would cause your radius to report failed authentication.  My initial thought was there was some sort of cease but I pay my bills on time and was assured by support there was no cease.

I'd be interested to see what the BT Wholesale radius is reporting my username as.  I worked for an ISP as a tech and network engineer for a number of years so have a small understanding of what does and can go wrong.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting back to us @disk0 

If your modem's out of sync but our tests are in sync, I suspect there's a cross-jumpering fault at the cabinet.

Looking at a BT radius logcheck, the last connection it's seen is through your own username at 2021-06-30 02:15:26

Really odd that our own radius is showing password incorrect attempts since then when BT's radius can't see those attempts, because your connection would hit BT first before us.

I'm fairly confident this is going to be a fault at the cabinet or similar. Let us know how it goes tomorrow.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
disk0
Grafter

Cheers @Gandalf - I thought I'd raise it here as you know, it will very much depend on the engineers' experience who arrives tomorrow - I'd expect cross jumpering at the cab during working hours but not at 2:15 am 

But then again I have not worked for an ISP since 2018 so I suspect a few things have changed

Thanks for the assistance so far

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

No problem @disk0 and that makes sense, although there's generally various causes for cross jumpering.

We'll see what the engineer finds! I'm not going to be around tomorrow for the rest of the week as I've got some annual leave booked in, but my colleagues should be here. 

Let us know how it goes still. Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
disk0
Grafter

Fix

All sorted now - Openreach found a battery fault on the pair - reset the router and also my snr - still need to call support for my PPP username (no idea why that would have changed on the portal)

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@disk0  If your username has changed that is very suspicious, you could be connecting on another person's account. That needs to be checked by support. Your username is used to log into your member centre account, is that working with the expected credentials?