Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Service: Lancaster, Lancs.

Andy002
Hooked

No Service: Lancaster, Lancs.

Hi All,

Was I the only person to experience total loss of service in Lancaster from early this morning till late afternoon?  It appears there was a power cut in some parts of the town today, though I had power when I tried to connect to the internet - just no green lights on the PlusNet box.  I've checked the Service Status page but can't find any reference to problems in my area.

Many thanks!

11 REPLIES 11
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: No Service: Lancaster, Lancs.

Sorry to hear that Andy.

I can't see any cause for this reported on our suppliers side.

Glad to heat it's working again

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Andy002
Hooked

So, just when I thought it was safe to go back in the water ....

No internet service again today - early morning till 9pm.  Tried turning router on/off and resetting multiple times.  Customer Support line constantly 'very busy'.  Then suddenly, for no apparent reason, it fixes itself.  This is getting beyond a joke.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @Andy002 

I can see these drops in connection on your RADIUS readout ; 

A GEA test on your line has not provided any clarity as to why these drops might be occurring, could I please ask if this most recent drop in connection happened alongside another power outage? 

Thanks 

Andy002
Hooked

Hi MoR,

To my knowledge, there was no power outage in the Lancaster area (certainly not in my street) when the latest loss of connection occurred.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

though I had power when I tried to connect to the internet - just no green lights on the PlusNet box.

When you experienced the loss of connection the second time, were there any lights on the router at all?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
Andy002
Hooked

Hi Harry,

Yes, the router was showing a red power light, plus a green flashing ethernet light.  Sometimes the power light would turn green, but still no connections.

EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @Andy002,

Thank you for confirming that you weren't experiencing a power outage when the second drop occurred and that the power light is red for the most part when this happens.

Tests from this side aren't picking up the cause of this issue - it appears that the issue may lie with your equipment. Please can you run through our troubleshooting guides here. If you continue to experience these drops in connection after completing the troubleshooting checks we'll investigate this further for you.

Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team
Andy002
Hooked

Hi Emily,

So, I checked my master socket.  Going by the troubleshooting video, this appears to be a Fibre SSFP, with a broadband socket above and a phone socket below.  What I found was that both the router and the phone were connected to a microfilter, which was plugged into the phone socket.  The video suggests that router and phone should be in separate sockets, and that a microfilter wasn't necessary.  I tried to plug the router into the broadband socket, but here's the thing - it wouldn't fit! 

My router is a PlusNet Technicolor, connected in series with a BT Openreach EchoLife HG612 (as fitted by the BT engineer).  No other devices (e.g., answering machines, etc.) are fitted.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi Andy.

I tried to plug the router into the broadband socket, but here's the thing - it wouldn't fit! 

Are you able to connect your router into the top hole of the master socket without using a microfilter?

Yes, the router was showing a red power light

This indicates that your router may be developing a fault.

If it happens again it may be worth trying another router. If you would like a replacement from us I'd call our customer options guys on 0800 013 2632 to discuss a new one as we may need to recontract you to send one out free of charge.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Andy002
Hooked

Hi Anoush,

Yes, I was unable to plug the router into the top hole of the master socket - until, that is, I tried again earlier today and discovered it WOULD go in, but upside down as compared to how it fitted in the microfilter (???).  Don't ask.  Anyhow, the router is now plugged into the top (broadband) socket, and the phone line is in the ... er ... phone socket.  No microfilter is being used.  I'll just have to wait and see if this solves the problem.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Ah fair. No worries. Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet