Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No PPPoE connection since yesterday morning

FIXED
balancedfire
Grafter
Fixes: 1

No PPPoE connection since yesterday morning

I have a FTTC connection and use the BT OpenReach modem with a router. Yesterday morning at about 6.30am (according to plusnet support) my connection dropped. 

The modem has a solid dsl light but I can't connect either with a router or a direct connection from my laptop to the modem. On the laptop I get 'error 691', routers just show no connection and the logs say things along the lines of "Modem Hangup". I've changed my password incase it was an authentication issue but this has made no difference either. I'm using my-username@plusdsl.net with my password.

I've tried an ASUS RT-N16 and RT-N66U and my neighbour's "Onehub", none can get a connection. It's been logged as fault but the SLA is 5 working days, which is a long time for a complete loss of service.

Is there anything else I can try to get online? Has anyone else had a similar problem? Despite my modem maintaining a connection, I believe this is some kind of line fault. Annoyingly, my neighbour who has plusnet is online without an issue. 

3 calls to Plusnet support have not really helped, neither did waiting 30minutes each time to get through to someone. I've spent most of the day today searching for a solution, trying different settings on routers (although it's quite limited with PPPoE) and tearing the remains of my hair out. Any help would be appreciated. I can post more information if necessary. 

Thanks

22 REPLIES 22
balancedfire
Grafter

Re: No PPPoE connection since yesterday morning

Here is a log from the RT-N66U

Aug  1 01:00:49 stop_nat_rules: apply the redirect_rules!
Aug  1 01:00:55 pppd[297]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Aug  1 01:00:55 pppd[297]: Connection terminated.
Aug  1 01:00:55 pppd[297]: Modem hangup
Aug  1 01:00:56 kernel: nf_conntrack_rtsp v0.6.21 loading
Aug  1 01:00:57 kernel: nf_nat_rtsp v0.6.21 loading
Aug  1 01:01:05 pppd[297]: Connected to 10:e8:78:a7:a7:11 via interface eth0
Aug  1 01:01:05 pppd[297]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Aug  1 01:01:35 pppd[297]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Aug  1 01:01:35 pppd[297]: Connection terminated.
Aug  1 01:01:36 pppd[297]: Modem hangup
Aug  1 01:01:46 pppd[297]: Connected to 10:e8:78:a7:a7:11 via interface eth0
Aug  1 01:01:46 pppd[297]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Aug  1 01:02:22 pppd[297]: LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Aug  1 01:02:22 pppd[297]: Connection terminated.
Aug  1 01:02:22 pppd[297]: Modem hangup
Aug  1 01:02:30 rc_service: httpd 237:notify_rc restart_wan_if 0
Aug  1 01:02:30 kernel: Attempt to kill tasklet from interrupt
Aug  1 01:02:32 pppd[480]: pppd 2.4.7 started by admin, uid 0
Aug  1 01:02:32 pppd[480]: Connected to 10:e8:78:a7:a7:11 via interface eth0
Aug  1 01:02:32 pppd[480]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0

I have also unsuccessfully tried the following steps from this page; https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Broadband-Faults-Guide-Authentication-Auth/ba-p/1322781

2. If you are having problems connecting, you should enter bt_test@startup_domain with the password as: ‘test’ (without the apostrophes). This tests up to BT’s RADIUS, if you’re unable to connect up to this point, there’s a definite fault and you should enter your username@plusdsl.net and raise a fault
3. If you are able to connect with the details from 2, you should enter bt_test_user@plusdsl.net with the password ‘test’ as above. If you cannot connect, please raise a fault. If you are able to connect, try your username@plusdsl.net details again, if you’re not able to connect, it’s likely there’s a problem with the configuration on your account on our side – you’ll need to raise a fault so that we can get that looked at for you. 

balancedfire
Grafter

Would any staff be able to look into this for me please? I'm actually meant to be working from home today. I know I'm on a residential package not a business one but it's unfortunate timing for my internet to go down. I can't really wait 5 working days just to even be contacted, I need this fixed asap. Thanks

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

I've not looked at the specs for the routers you've mentioned, but if they are vdsl compatible (the Hub One is), have you tried without the OR modem?

(also, at times like this, a report to PN admin option would be a good idea - and not just flag to mods).

balancedfire
Grafter

As expected no call from Plusnet or any response here. 

The routers I have do not have VDSL capability, they are routers only. I'm stuck with the OR modem. My connection is still down....

DS
Seasoned Champion

That's a shame regarding your routers.

Is your neighbours router a Hub One (I know you wrote OneHub), if it is, can you try using that without the OR modem on your line but into the test point on your master socket with a microfilter. At least that way you can rule out your separate OR modem being at fault. The Hub One should automatically switch to your username and password (if you have left TR-069 enabled on your account). If it doesn't then obviously you would need to type these in.

The only other thing I can think of is to try your router and modem on their connection - again their details (broadband username and password) would need to be swapped for yours. At least that way, when PN see this thread they will already see that your equipment isn't at fault (assuming yours works on theirs....0

I totally understand how you feel regarding responses from PN - I've been waiting for a response on one of my threads too, but sadly it's either not been read yet, or read and ignored. Having said that, it could possibly be down to how their individual forum settings are set to. Also they must have to read through many posts and it might be simply a matter of time before that get to your thread.

balancedfire
Grafter

Neighbours have a hubone. Much to their annoyance I've done all of the tests you suggested already.

I tried the HubOne both in the test socket and the main socket. It would connect using their credentials but not mine. The routers and modem both worked at their house. 

This means it's probably a simple authentication issue that could be resolved quickly.

DS
Seasoned Champion

Good, glad to hear you've tested the scenarios out already Smiley

However, I wouldn't have expected their credentials to have worked on your line Shocked

I've just checked to see if any staff are online, but sadly those that are online are showing as idle - which does sometimes mean they've forgot to log out of the forums and thus they wouldn't be available - possibly left the office or away from their desk.

You could keep an eye on the above link and as soon as one looks active, type @balancedfire (but with their name instead and it should message them to say that you've mentioned their name) Wink

balancedfire
Grafter

I didn't expect that to happen either. It's all very odd. 

Thanks for the advice though I'll keep an eye on who is online and call them out Smiley

Also, as I'm out of contract, I am thinking of moving to idnet as they seem to be consistently rated much higher than Plusnet.

DS
Seasoned Champion

It's does sound like your line is in contact with theirs and yours has been lost to PN.

If you have a landline phone dial 17070 and the first automated message should give you your home phone number - if it does, then ignore my first sentence.

If it is a line fault, moving to idnet would prove fruitless as the fault will move with you. Whilst you're with PN, at least they should hopefully sort it first.

<insert a PN statement trying to encourage you to remain> Wink

balancedfire
Grafter

I tried 17070, it gives me my landline number and some options for openreach tests. 

I understand that moving takes the fault with me but due to the response time on this one I'm not too keen to stay!

DS
Seasoned Champion

At least that's one positive, but I do understand your frustration.

No guarantees, but earth to @Anoush, are you there......

(should you wish to stay, PN where's my referal!! Knuppel)

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi there,

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your connection.

Just on the way to the office, I'll take a look once I'm in.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
balancedfire
Grafter

Hi Anoush

Any luck?

I just popped out to the shops and there was a BT Openreach engineer at the cabinet. Apparently another person on my street has a similar problem (PPPoe errors, etc) but they have TalkTalk fibre. He kindly offered to take a look and let me know but I'm not 100% confident that he will follow through as he's not technically there to fix my problem.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

We're just looking into this now.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button