cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Openreach modem ordered by Plusnet?

fronty
Dabbler

No Openreach modem ordered by Plusnet?

Had a very nice Openreach man round today to upgrade me to FTTC, straight away I was getting 75/17mbps so very happy. However the order from Plusnet did not include an Openreach modem. I am using my own router but still need a modem, the engineer said he has seen this before with Plusnet, said that they seem to assume that because I am using my own router that they don't differentiate between those that still need a separate modem and those that don't. Anyway, luckily he had one in the van that he gave me, didn't charge me for it, but I was just curious if this was normal as surely this could cause some installation issues if customer needs a modem but the engineer can't or won't provide one?
Cheers
Fronty
2 REPLIES 2
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: No Openreach modem ordered by Plusnet?

To defend PN, it is quite likely that the BTO engineer was fibbing.  The three available order options are:
1. Connection for Basic Install or Managed install using the Openreach Modem
2. Connection for Self Install using a Customer Provided Modem/Router
3. Connection for Managed Install using a Customer Provided Modem/Router
Up until very recently only ordered the basic install with modem yet BTO staff have often failed to provide the modem as many other providers provide a combined modem/router.  PN have just started to place self-install orders for new connections but not new ADSL > FTTC upgrades - These seem to have fallen into the strange situation of an engineer visit being required (ie a managed install.  No idea why this should be as the migration could be handled as a self install.
Depending on when your order was placed you either has a basic install and BTO made a mistake or a managed install and PN should have supplied a Hub One modem/router.
fronty
Dabbler

Re: No Openreach modem ordered by Plusnet?

Hmm I dunno, he showed me the job order on his PDA, as I had a fault it said fix fault and provision FTTC or whatever speak they use, he explained the order did not specify supply of modem, he was expecting me to have one, when I said I didn't he kind of sighed when I said I was with plusnet, said they were a budget ISP and penny pinching by not ordering/paying for modems. Anyway he sorted me out but just concerned this could affect other installs if it's the norm.