cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Master Socket

DazMack

No Master Socket

Hi, I recently had PlusNet fibre optic broadband installed. This is the first time that I have have fibre optic. I have a few questions.
1) Should I have had a new BT master socket installed? I ask this because the engineer did not install one and made no mention of this. The socket that comes into my house is quite old so I wonder if this will affect my broadband in any way?
2) When I answer or make a call on my land line I lose my internet connection. Is this normal?
I would appreciate it if anyone could answer my queries.
13 REPLIES 13
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: No Master Socket

Normally they'd fit a 'Service Specific Faceplate':http://www.run-it-direct.co.uk/images/mk2vdslfitted.jpg
If you don't have one like this you must use microfilters just like with ADSL.  Do you have any extension sockets?
Internet conection should NOT be lost when the phone rings.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
DazMack

Well I removed the micro filters as I thought that they were no longer needed as I have Fibre. The router is connected to an extension lead and not in the same room as my main phone socket. Should BT come back and instal a new master socket for me?
DazMack

And no my socket is not the one shown in that photo.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi  DazMack,
Sorry to hear the engineer didn't fit the correct socket for fibre. Calls will be causing the connection to drop out because of the lack of filtering.
As mentioned by w23 you can use your old ADSL filter(s) for the phone and any other devices that connect into the line elsewhere. If you'd rather we can arrange for an engineer to visit as part of our faults process and request for the correct socket to be fitted.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
DazMack

Yes if you could arrange for a BT engineer to instal a new master socket, I would be very grateful. Thanks  Smiley
w23
Pro

Please do reinstall your microfilters for the time being, this should, at least, improve your broadband until the master socket is sorted.
@Adam, do you think this kind of issue will be seen more as other ISPs move more towards self install or was it just a poor job by the engineer?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
DazMack

Thanks for your help w23 and @Adam.
DazMack

BTW w23, as the engineer was suposed to install and set up everything I wouldn't exactly call this a self install.
avatastic
Grafter

Quote from: w23
@Adam, do you think this kind of issue will be seen more as other ISPs move more towards self install or was it just a poor job by the engineer?

I expect this engineer was a subcontractor and not from OR.
The local subcontractor in this area will go to the exchange, pick up his job sheet, run round all the cabinets and make the changes and then visit the EUs one at a time, as they are paid by the install, not the by hour.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
w23
Pro

Quote from: DazMack
BTW w23, as the engineer was suposed to install and set up everything I wouldn't exactly call this a self install.
Plusnet do not (yet) use the (cheaper) self install option that Openreach have recently introduced but the existence of this option may provide some engineers (most likely sub-contractors) with an excuse to cut corners.
Call me 'w23'
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

No I honestly don't think this has the potential to be a widespread issue and believe the work done by the engineer is below the standard of what we'd expect.
@DazMack
No problem I'll make sure that's picked up shortly for you.
UPDATE:
I've reported the fault and should be able to book an appointment later today. Can you let me know as per the ticket update when you can be available please?
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
stef1989
Grafter

Sorry to jump in on this thread, but when my Fibre was installed at the beginning of the month the engineer never installed the the new face plates and when i asked him he said i don't need one?
I have to have the Microfibre filter in so i can have my phone line connected as it's the old face plates.
Should i have had this fitted as part of the install?
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Should i have had this fitted as part of the install?

Yes, I've offered to help DazMack out with this as it's obviously causing issues for him.
Happy to do the same for yourself if it's causing problems.
UPDATE:
Hi, in case you see this. I've just left you a voice mail. Glad to see this looks to be resolved but do please reply back here if not.
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team