cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Line, No Fibre, 2 BT Ports

plusnetash

No Line, No Fibre, 2 BT Ports

Hi there,
I’d just like to get some quick advice. I’ve always been on Virgin but I’ve just moved out on my own and into my own flat. I’d like to preface this post by saying I’m not stupid and I’m pretty decent at computers and IT but PlusNet is leaving me completely baffled. Virgin isn’t available in the new area so I went with Plus.Net in the hopes of getting the 19MB upload speed which would be great for my work.
The last couple of tenants never had a BT phone or Broadband so the line into the property has sat turned off for the last few years. I ordered my unlimited fibre on November 19th 2015. An engineer was supposed to come out to my property (according to OpenReach voicemail) to fit a line on 30/11/15. Nobody turned up when scheduled which was disappointing. Luckily PlusNet refunded my Install fee as a gesture of goodwill.
Anyway, now the phone line is up and running, OpenReach have been able to estimate that my Fibre fibre speed is 40/0.2 which is really disappointing. I’m told I have another engineer visit booked between 8-1 on 11/12/15 to sort out the Fibre. I’ve got the PlusNet router here already but looking around my property I’ve found 2 BT sockets on the walls. Both look pretty old and I can’t test them right now with a phone as I don’t have a land line one handy or with a router as the box says don’t plug it in yet.
When the fibre didn’t go active on the 30/11/15 I started using my phone hotspot shared to my macbook > set up internet share to ethernet > ethernet to Hub, I then plugged all my devices into the Hub including an iMac and a couple Synology servers along with an Airport Extreme and everything magically talks to each other and the internet goes through the phone hotspot at 25 up and down for all of the connected devices. I don’t want to keep this up for much longer, plus not being able to open ports on my phone to allow access to my server at home is killing my productivity.
I have’t cancelled my PlusNet deal so far as they’ve been pretty ok about refunding and compensating and I am going to assume that if the line test says the max I can get is 40/0.2 then thats going to be consistent access all providers but I’m disappointed by how long its taking to get set up and the amount of questions it’s leaving me with. As I said I’m pretty techy but I can’t imagine how this must be for people who don’t know anything!
I’m wondering what happens next. I’ve booked 11/12/15 off work for engineer visit number 2. Will they come in and fit a new box / upgrade the old ones on the wall in the property or just stick to working at the green box?
If nobody does turn up how do I know when to plug in my router and what to do next? I’m used to the cable engineers coming out fitting the box where you tell them, installing, testing and then going off.
Any help from anyone would be appreciated. Even if its just a basic guide on where to plug in the PlusNet Router and if its worth me testing the phone line.
Thank you and sorry for wall of text.
2 REPLIES 2
deathtrap
Grafter

Re: No Line, No Fibre, 2 BT Ports

What  estimate does this give https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html if you enter your address & post code into it, ?  
Plusnet  do /sell 2 FTTC products 40/2 and 80/20  it from what you say have ordered the 40 mbps down 2mbps up product,  or that is what they are going to provide, on this you will not get more than the 2 mbps upload, if this isn't what you wanted time to get on the phone and sort it,
Are you also taking plusnet line rental ? if so the install fee is waived , due to the 18mth min term on the FTTC  
Another thought If they have sent you the re branded BTHH5 router /modem, it is likely their will be no engineer visit your home as they have ordered what is known as a PCP install, where the engineer only re jumpers your  line at the  street cabinet , This may not be optimum for you as you don't know how good/poor the wiring is inside your home, and if the master socket is very old  it may need updating , It may of been better for a proper engineer install  As would having a Huawie HG612 3B BT modem  or other broadcom based modem /router such as the billion 8800nl,
plusnetash

Re: No Line, No Fibre, 2 BT Ports

Thanks for the reply. To answer a few questions:
I took out 80/20 unlimited fibre on the basis that I couldn't get a verified line test as it wasn't active. I wasn't too worried about download but was excited at high speed upload.
When the line was activated and a speed test conducted they estimated my speed to be at 40/2.
I downgraded my plan to the 40/2 before the 14 days cooling off was up based on what they estimated they could serve me. I didn't want to get stuck paying for 80/20 but only receive 40/2. I would have been happy to pay for 80/20 and receive 40/20 on my end but they won't guarantee the higher speed upload so it isn't worth it for me. Although when putting my telephone number into the EE calculator it says I could get 30 - 60 down and 7.2 - 16 up.
When I enter my phone number into the BT Wholesale link I get the following message:
"There is no data available for this number. This could be either because it is not a BT line or it is a new BT number that has just been provided. Most new numbers will appear on the checker 24 hours after BT has installed the line."
The line has been active since 01/12/15.
The router I received is the PlusNet Hub One - it looks like a white version of the black BT Infinity boxes.
Regards the Plus net line rental. I did have to rent a line at cost of £16.99 or similar from BT. I didn't have a choice about this but I couldn't tell you if it was a PlusNet line or a BT line. I have no intention of using the landline for calls, if I could have broadband only I would have gone for it. Theres 2 mobiles in the house and a virtual office landline redirecting to a mobile.
The home sockets look clean, but they're definitely old ones as they don't have the built in filter on them.
Having poked around in the PlusNet account page I'm finding it hilarious that PlusNet plan to take my next payment on 30/12/15 when I haven't actually had any broadband service yet! I was told by someone on the live chat that the first payment comes out one month after your activated date - mine being 12/12/15 if they actually do activate as planned.
dick:quote