cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No DSL light on Openreach modem

FIXED
soclanat

No DSL light on Openreach modem

Recently moved house and was advised internet now up and running. It wasn't working and turned out there was a fault. Engineer was out to fix the fault yesterday and have been advised this is now complete. Problem is I still have no internet. The green DSL light on the modem is not on, and it never comes on or flashes at any point after turning on. I've replaced microfilter and cable today to try and eliminate that as a source of the problem... still nothing.

Is it possible to have my modem checked out remotely. I don't actually have a house phone to check if I'm getting a dial tone at all, although I've been told the line is fine.

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: No DSL light on Openreach modem

Sorry to hear you're having connection issues following moving house.

Our tests aren't showing the cause for the problem so we'd likely need to arrange an engineer visit to further investigate this.

Before we go down that path can you confirm you've tried plugging your router into the test socket as explained Here? If you're still having issues connecting that way, I'd recommend reporting a broadband fault to us at http://faults.plus.net

Let us know how it goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
soclanat

Thanks for the advice. I've removed the plate from the master socket and can see the removable section isn't wired at all. I have plugged into the test socket, but still nothing. I don't think this whole socket is wired correctly at all. I'll have a look at it myself tonight, but I don't really know what I'm doing.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Try plugging a phone into it, do you get dial tone? Does it give the correct number when you dial 17070?

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Fix

No worries, I'd definitely try @Mustrum's suggestion to figure out if there is dial tone and if you've got the right number. This will determine if there's a crossed line and/or the phone line is faulty and will help us in choosing the right fault path when reporting this to our suppliers.

Regarding your master socket can you post up a photo?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
soclanat

Problem solved.

After tracing the phone wiring into the house, I found another master socket hidden in the hall that works. It doesn't appear to be connected to the master socket in the living room or the other extension socket. Maybe those two are from an old second line.

Anyway, thanks for the advice. Helped me narrow down what the source of the problem could be.
EmilyD
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 117

Hi @soclanat,

Thank you for getting back in touch. I'm pleased to hear that you have found another master socket in the property and that your broadband is now up and running after connecting to that.

Please let us know whether there's anything else that you'd like to discuss.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Emily D
 Plusnet Help Team