cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Connection Issue - Suggestions Welcome :)

FIXED
Hulmes

No Connection Issue - Suggestions Welcome :)

Hi guys,

My internet connection has been down for 7 days so far and my support ticket (146238667) is just dragging on without progress. Anyway, I thought I'd give the forums a go, as they've always been my go-to for fixing issues with anything. Let me know what you think. Details below:

Connection dropped: 3am Thursday 16th March

Fault: Unable to get an internet connection since then.

Routers: BT HomeHub 5b and a spare TP-Link AC1200 that I bought to test with.

Master socket: (no microfilters being used)

1.PNG

Troubleshooting done:

1. Restarted Router
  2. Re-entered plusnet credentials in to the router 
  3. Cannot connect (amber light with amber 'B')
  4. Factory reset the router
  5. Re-entered plusnet credentials in to the router
  6. Made sure 'Smart Setup' was disabled for my BT HomeHub 5b
  7. Cannot connect
  8. Double checked the credentials by logging in to the Plusnet website.
  9. Cannot connect to the internet from the router

1. Swapped the router for the TP-Link AC1200
  2. Used all new cables
  3. Entered my plusnet credentials in to the router
  4. Restarted the router
  5. No connection
  6. Factory reset the router
  7. Tried the credentials again.
  8. No connection

I've even checked the Plusnet router that came with my subscription to make sure it's not causing an authentication conflict. It's logging in using a separate Plusnet account at my brother's house, so I guess I can rule that out.

Am I missing something from my end? What do you reckon? Input much appreciated.

Cheers!

8 REPLIES 8
Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Re: No Connection Issue - Suggestions Welcome :)

Hi there, first of all a warm welcome to the community forums and I am sorry to hear of the problems you're experiencing.

It does sound like an authentication fault and from the thorough checks you've done without any success, it may be that something's not right on the line.

I'm not in the office at the moment so I can't check what's been done on our side to try to fix this so far, but it's likely that we may need to arrange engineer.

I'll run a few tests tomorrow morning and I'll get back to you.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Have you tried plugging a landline phone into the test socket? (remove the two screws and unplug the first face plate, you should then see the test socket down the bottom)

Do you get a dial tone?

Is their noise on the line?

Refit the face plate and retest.

If you get no dial tone or there is noise on the line when connecting to the test socket then its probably and external network fault that requires and OR engineer to sort it out.

If the phone works in the test socket but not with the face plate refitted then its probably an internal wiring fault with extension wiring.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I've checked your fault @Hulmes and I can see that our suppliers have completed testing of your line and they have asked us to book an engineer.

I've updated your ticket, once you reply to it if you let me know on here I can get the engineer arranged for you. I apologise for the inconvenience caused.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Hulmes

Good call, Mike. I threw my old home phone away a month ago (doh), but I'll see about getting a cheap spare to test with.

Hulmes

Thanks Anoush. I've updated the ticket.

I guess the only thing I haven't tried is the phone line test, but please book an engineer regardless to save this dragging on any longer.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Fix

Thanks for getting back to me. Good news, if you're around tomorrow we have availability at the moment. For the same timeslots. If not, I'll get the engineer booked for the earliest date you specified on the ticket.

Hulmes

Thanks for that, Anoush. The Openreach chap has fixed it at his end.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Fantastic news, thanks for letting me know.