cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Broadband since April 17th!

aecjeffery
Dabbler

No Broadband since April 17th!

Just feeling the need to vent some frustration at PlusNet/OpenReach/BT Wholesale!
We received a letter telling us that we would have a broadband outage on 16th and 17th April to migrate our fibre cabinet. Sure enough we lost service on the 17th. When the service had not returned by the 18th, I raised a fault with PlusNet. PlusNet texted me a link to a video on how to diagnose phone faults, I updated the ticket to restate that the phone was fine, but we had no internet that day.
I had no response, so I called again on Saturday 21st. I was told that the line was on an "MSO" and that was why I had no service. I reminded them that the outage should have finished on the 17th, but I was told that sometimes outages over run and that I should try rebooting my router hourly! The ticket was update to say I'd been given an estimate repair time. I had not! I updated the ticket to query this.
I had no response, so I called again on Monday 23rd. I was told that there was now no longer an "MSO" on my line, but that testing had revealed a fault. This had been raised with OpenReach and I should get a response by the 26th April. I wondered whether OpenReach would need a time-slot to visit, so I called again on Tuesday 24th and was told that there should be no need to visit the house and repeats that I should get a response by 26th April.
An Engineer visited on 25th and cleared a couple of minor faults on the line (outside the property) but said there was still a configuration issue. I called PlusNet and was told that this had been raised with "the suppliers" and I would get an update in 3 days time.
I had no response by 28th, so I called PlusNet again. Another test was run which showed a "copper fault" and that this would be raised in OpenReach, I should get a response by the 30th.
I had no response by the evening of the 30th, So I called PlusNet to chase again. I was told that I needed to book an appointment for the OpenReach engineer to visit the house again. The first available appointment was 2nd May, which I took. The engineer fixed some more minor faults (outside the property) but still no service.
So I called PlusNet again on the evening of the 2nd. I was told that I now had sync but my router was not authenticating - the likely fault being on my router. I explained all the above and that it was unlikely that my router was at fault, but luckily I have two routers, so I spent a happy hour or so factory resetting them and satisfying myself that they were OK. I then did the same with a PlusNet advisor on the phone. The advisor raised this as a "non appointed task" and I was told there was a 48 hour SLA for resolution.
I'd heard nothing by Saturday 5th, so I phoned PlusNet again. I was told another engineer needed to visit and that the soonest available slot was Tuesday 8th, which I took. I also asked to escalate this fault to a manager. The manager explained that she was not technical but would try to help. I told her that I was tired of being piggy in the middle between PlusNet and OpenReach and that I wanted someone from PlusNet to take responsibility for my fault. I was told that the fault would now be managed by technical support and that one person would be contacting me throughout until my fault was resolved. This has not happened.

On the 8th, the engineer took nearly 6 hours without finding any problem. He closed the fault on the basis there was nothing further he could do. I called PlusNet again that evening to see what the next steps would be. I was told that the fault would be re-opened.
I called again on the 9th to see if there had been any progress, I was told that someone would get back to me. On the 9th my ticket was updated to say that a CSC Analyst had tried to contact me, but had been unable to leave a message. There was no record of a call on my landline or my mobile phone. The message suggested I should try factory resetting my router. I did this (again) without success and updated the ticket.
I called again on the 10th to see what the next steps would be. I was told that I'd need another engineer visit. The next available slot was Monday 14th May which I took.
Later on that Friday I saw an OpenReach van outside and at some point my Internet service came back to life. I called PlusNet to let them know - they cancelled the engineer visit and closed the ticket.
By Monday 15th we'd lost service again. I called PlusNet again on Monday evening and a new fault ticket was raised. I was called on Tuesday afternoon and asked to try replacing the filter on my master socket and factory resetting my router (again). I did this without success and was told that I needed another engineer visit, the next available was on 16th, which I took.
The Engineer came on the 16th and after spend a few hours told us the problem was with our routing and that we were connected to the wrong cabinet. I called PlusNet and was told that I would need another engineer visit! the next available was on Friday 18th, which I took. I received the usual text and warning that if I wasn't in I'd get a £65 bill.
I took time off and sat around the house but no engineer showed. I got an apologetic call from PlusNet to say that BT had now realised that I have a routing fault and that an engineer visit won't fix anything. I now see that PlusNet knew this on Thursday - but not-one bothered to tell me. I was told that the fault had been passed to BT's cease and re-provide team to resolve.
I phoned again on Sunday 20th to chase and was told that the fault had been escalated and that they were expecting updates over the weekend.
I heard nothing by Tuesday 22nd May so I phoned PlusNet again that evening. I spoke to the excellent [CSA Removed] (who's answered a few times that I've called) who told me that the fix would be for me to have my service ceased, then re-provided as ADSL, then finally upgraded back to fibre. It was a 5 working day SLA and I should have an update within 48 hours. I complained that this was unacceptable bearing in mind all I've been through and that I wanted to see some urgency from BT in correcting what was their error. [CSA Removed] very kindly offered me some money to buy myself a 3G WIFI dongle to at least give me some connectivity.
[CSA Removed] chased up BTW for me that evening and I was told I should expect service again in 2-3 days.
By Thursday 24th I'd had no update so I called PlusNet again. I was told my fault had only been escalated to team member level and needed to be escalated to Team Leader level. I was again told the process would take 5 working days. I pushed to say that I wanted an actual date, because the 5 working days seemed to re-start every time I phoned. I was told I'd get an update by close of day Thursday.
I had no further response Thursday, so I phoned again this morning (25th May). I again asked the fault to escalated to a Manager: who I have spoken to this morning. I've been told that "cease service" part is now complete (tell me about it!) and that I should get service back by next Tuesday (29th May). The manager has also promised to phone me on Monday with an update.
Each of these calls has taken a minimum of 45 minutes of my time, often greater than 30 minutes on hold. Each of the engineer visits is a day off work for my wife or I.
I'd like to ask the community - is there anything I should have done differently through all of this? What are my odds of actually getting service back on Tuesday? Is this kind of thing typical or have I just been incredibly stupid or unlucky?
I'm generally quite a patient chap, but I'm at my wits end with this...
Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

16 REPLIES 16
Rhyn
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Re: No Broadband since April 17th!

Disgraceful at all levels.

MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

Flagged for attention of senior management.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

aecjeffery
Dabbler

I see my ticket has now been put on hold until 29th June. That doesn't bode well...
aecjeffery
Dabbler

No suprise. The manager who promised to give me an update today hasn't called (I did remind him it was a bank holiday.)

I guess I'll be spending another hour or so on the phone to the helpline again tomorrow.
aecjeffery
Dabbler

Still no contact from Plusnet. Finally some Internet this evening - agonisingly slow Adsl, but at least that's something.

Can't face spending 40 minutes waiting on hold for an update.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

I'm really sorry that this hasn't been picked up yet.

Leave this with me and I'll get this chased up for you.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
aecjeffery
Dabbler

*Finally* someone from Plusnet tried to contact me today to say that my fibre should be back next Tuesday. Despite being promised a 5 working day process 2 weeks ago. It's clear that the Plusnet escalation and expedite processes acheive nothing.

We'd be better off dealing with BTW and Openreach ourselves. At least we'd have the tenacity to chase them daily.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry to hear that.

Unfortunately cease and reprovides can sometimes be delayed which is what appears to have happened here.

Let us know how you get on Tuesday

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
aecjeffery
Dabbler

So no change on Tuesday, obviously. I did get an e-mail saying Plusnet attempted to contact me but there was no answer (phone was by me an in signal all day). The email said I should have an update today.

Today's update is a real doozy.

Apparently during the weeks, described in painful detail above, that I've been routed to the wrong cabinet; BT Openreach have given my connection away and there is no longer any room for me.

Apparently "there is nothing Plusnet can do about this."

What?!?!

Helpful suggestions from Plusnet include:
1) We can offer you an Adsl contract.
2) There's a website I can check to see if a port becomes available sometime in the future.

I'm obviously absolutely seething. But when I calm down I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to do next.

Can Plusnet / BT Openreach really get away with this?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

Sorry to hear this.

Unfortunately it appears that the correct cabinet for your line is currently undergoing maintenance as shown in the screenshot below

I'm afraid there's nothing we can do regarding this as the work is being carried out by Openreach.

You can check for updates by going here

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
aecjeffery
Dabbler

Well that sounds more positive than the message from the CSA who called which I could summarise as "the cabinets full, tough."

I'm not clear what what you suggest I actually do though.

I could check that website. But are you suggesting daily or weekly or monthly?

If, one day the work shows as compete should I raise a new order with yourselves, as if you haven't royally messed me around for the last couple of months?

Or do you think Plusnet might have some obligation here?
MauriceC
Resting Legend
Fixes: 17

Superuser citation

This topic has been cited by one of the Superusers; the purpose of which is to provide a note for information which might help to focus continued discussion (but might not result in a staff response).

I've raised this Topic again.  Plusnet need to be in the driving seat for this extended outage.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi all, @aecjeffrey, 

I'd check that weekly and the best thing to do when you see a change to this is to update this thread. 

Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
aecjeffery
Dabbler

So, I escalated to a manager yesterday - who came back to me this evening.

The root cause of all this is as I understood it. On the 17th April I was supposed to be migrated from one cabinet to another. This wasn't done correctly and I ended up with faulty routing. In the two months it took Plusnet to get the fault to the right people in Openreach my port was given away to another customer.

Whether the cabinet is currently under maintenance or not is a red herring. I had a port, it's been given to someone else.

I'm being encouraged to agree to an Adsl deal, but I'm reluctant because about the only leverage I have at the moment is that Plusnet is in breach of their contact to supply me with fibre - due to their supplier's negligence in disconnecting me and their negligence in failing to competently manage the fault in a timely manner.

She promises to get back to me on Tuesday with a compensation offer. She has offered that Plusnet will check fibre availability for me which has lowered my blood pressure a bit. I was frankly a bit offended by the suggestion that I should check this myself.

I'll be looking for some way of getting assurance that Plusnet are actually checking - perhaps a weekly update to my ticket would work.

I'll also be looking for settlement that stings Plusnet. Plusnet are clearly saving some money by under staffing support, not providing continuity through longer term faults and not holding BT Openreach to account.

I'm the classic high inertia customer. Been here for years and never tried to negotiate a discount.

Plusnet must start to learn that mugging a customer like me is really not good business. I'll reject any settlement that doesn't turn me from a long term cash generator into a long term loss maker for them.

If the settlement's not good enough I guess I'll be off to the ombudsman.

Mods - as there's no longer any reasonable prospect of me being a fibre customer again, is it OK to leave this thread here as a warning to others?

Or am I better off in one of the "aren't Plusnet awful" forums?😁