cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Broadband after Fibre switchover - worst decision of my life (ish)

mtdean
Dabbler

No Broadband after Fibre switchover - worst decision of my life (ish)

Hi

Not sure if anyone has or is having my Fibre switch over problems.
Here is my story or woe.

Switchover was booked for Thursday 12/1/17 and sure enough broadband went down that morning, so everything started okay.
However by 3pm and broadband was not up, so made my first of many calls to "Customer Service(less)" and waiting over 45 mins till I eventually reached the correct team - "Technical Support", Only to be told there is a problem and wait for 24 hrs for it to be resolved. GREAT.
Of course this was the first of the many promises that has failed.

Friday 4pm arrives no news, so I make another very long call - wait time on hold over 30 mins.  Told be patient. BT havr been contacted and fault escalated, as the order 'is stuck in the system'.  Told to wait 48 business hours - which really meant 2 business days. WHAT!!!?

Called Monday pm to see what was happening. Promised all will be well by Tuesday.  Yet another promise not kept.  Asked for a plan B, as we are talking about BT here getting their act together - do not think that has happened yet in their history but one can only hope, lets be the glass half full person. No plan B offered, ‘BT will have it working’.

Called Tuesday pm, because believe it or not, still no broadband service. Was told wait and be patient. BT have escalated it - so it will have progressed from the janitor to the receptionist / lobby ambassador.

Called Wednesday (today), still no service.  Seems receptionist has found a 'looping problem'.  BTW I have been categorically assured fault is not in Exchange to Head End or to my property.  BT are escalating, I assume to a junior secretary.  Was told this time no promises 'might take till Friday'.  I assume secretary does not take short hand.

I can only hope that by the end of the month the BT escalation procedure might progress out of the foyer / front office to a technician fully trained - to change light bulbs.  By the end of the year, BT might bring back from retirement a engineer who might actually understand what their problem is and solve it for them. And maybe the afore mentioned technician might shoulder surf, counting that as on the job training, ready for the next poor smuck who has foolishly made the decision to use PlusNet fibre.

Come on PlusNet, you are a BT company, you must have some say in your SLAs with BT Wholesale.  Get in that actually has a working escalation procedure.  Because quite clearly you do not currently have one.

Regards

Martin

23 REPLIES 23
MrSilver
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: No Broadband after Fibre switchover - worst decision of my life (ish)

Ouch that sounds a right palava, hope it gets sorted soon 😞

"Come on PlusNet, you are a BT company, you must have some say in your SLAs with BT Wholesale"

Broadband is regulated product so plusnet and BT consumer have the same escalation path and sla as the rest of industry , so have no internal paths or escalations that others don't have. No idea what they do have as part of industry but sounds like a mess on some systems and things bouncing around different teams in BT 😕
jameshanner
Dabbler

Sorry to hear that. Just you wait though. I upgraded in November and tonight my Unlimited Fibre Extra download speed is 0.85Mbps. Wheeeeee! I love watching those websites load like they did 20 years ago on dialup 😕

mtdean
Dabbler

UPDATE

Day 9 without internet.  BT Wholesale eventually completed the order, only for there still to be no broadband service.
Apparently I have a faulty line, even though before PN started the change to fibre all was good and been told bt PN that my connection to the exchange was good.
Now waiting for BT engineer to arrive.
Another weekend without internet.

Does anyone know what the record is for waiting for an upgrade to fibre from copper is?
I don't see getting connected before Monday, when it will be day 12.

Martin

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi Martin,

Apologies on our part for all the delays regarding this so far, it's especially disappointing to see that the line is faulty following the activation.

I note we've already arranged an engineer to visit you this afternoon. I'm in the office until 5.30 today so I'll check for updates later this afternoon to see if we can follow things up, failing that my colleague Scott will be back in touch with you on Monday.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mtdean
Dabbler

BT Engineer been and gone. Still no Broadband. Still have authentication error.
He says all connections from house to cabinet to exchange are good and the line is synching.
BT have done a 'lift and shift' moving my account to ano connection.  But this has not fixed the problem. Router has also been factory defaulted with no change.

BT are passing this fault back to you, saying that the next stage is replacing the brand new router that was working with the old copper DSL.
So I suppose that means you have to send me another hub. Could one be ordered today for a Monday delivery?  I assume this fault has escalated several levels by now.
When I raised my problem with David L (COO), he said that he is having this issue and I quote "looked into asap".

Regards

Martin

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Which router are you using?

MrSilver
Pro

Hi

I was a bit confused about the replace the router with an old copper dsl one? Have you been put back on ADSL?

The Hub one is both ADSL/VDSL router already.

If you PM @adamwalker your plusnet username he can check if they are seeing login errors on their radius platform, 

Also now that its all in sync and looking good there couple of thigns to try,.

1. Log into BTW and ignore plusnet 

USER: speedtest@speedtest_domain
PASS: testing

Then go to http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/ if it connects. If it doesnt connect something is broken before Plusnet as this test just logs you into BTW.

If that all works, and you can get a speedtest done, log out and log back with your account details.

If that still gives you authentication failures, go to portal.plus.net and login to check your password is right, also might be worth resetting your password in case its got out of sync on systems somehow, then that new portal password use that as the password in your router.

mtdean
Dabbler

Hi

Router is Sagemcon PlusNet hub One, the vDSL router sent to me ready for fibre switch over.

Also I do NOT have broadband, there is no authorization. 
The synching is happening to the engineers equipment and the router, but the router is not logging onto / connecting to the PlusNet network.. 
I think I may be putting too much information in these posts.

Do you think a call might be in order?
Will try and PM Adam and see what happens. He is already aware of my username.

Thanks

Martin

MrSilver
Pro

There are two different things here we need to establish.

The first is does the router show the dsl is in sync? This is to the OR kit and has nothing to do with plusnet. The engineer had it working so the hub one should have it too. There is no authorisation at this point.

Go to the hub, advanced settings the broadband, and then connection. What does that say?

If that's connected then that is good, you can try the Speedtest test above
mtdean
Dabbler

Adv sett > BBand > Connection > WAN Status. Line state says Connected. Connected for 2+ hrs

Adv sett > BBand > Internet > Connection Information. Connection time says Disconnected.  This cycles to Connecting for 10secs then Disconnected 60secs.

Username / pwd entered checked and re-checked, entered and re-entered.

b light on router cycles on then off at 15secs intervals. As it has done since Thursday 10 days ago when my broadband went walkabout.

MrSilver
Pro

Good. The line is in sync so broadband is working. It's the connection to the internet via plusnet that isn't.

If you can try the login to btw as above that will prove the connection from the cab into btw
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

It might be a bit late to contact Adam today, he said he was there until 5:30.

It sounds like either the username and password are wrong, or PN authentication has lost your details.

Changing your username and password as @MrSilver has suggested, would help prove this and confirm at least that your line and openreach bit works OK.

Suggest you get on to chat, or give them a ring, you might have a bit of a wait, but the answers may be quicker.

mtdean
Dabbler

Sett > BBand > Internet. Username set to 'speedtest@speedtest_domain', pwd set to 'testing'. Connect.

Comes back with spinning wheel  and PPP connecting.  15secs later back to login page. 30 secs wash/rinse and repeat.

With no PPP, no access to internet, no www. available. 

MrSilver
Pro

If there is no ppp being setup then with a pn username you won't get through either. That may help raise a fault to btw

If it did connect you wouldn't get internet access you would only get access to the Speedtest link I put above.

So if when you put that username in and the internet page only gets to connecting and never connected then that's a good bit of info for pnet to use.

If it says connected but you can't get to the internet then just try the Speedtest site above.