cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nightmare wifi dropouts!!

Ali47
Hooked

Nightmare wifi dropouts!!

Am literally considering paying the cancellation fee and going back to talktalk! Since joining in February I have had endless connection issues on all wifi devices which were non existent the day before I was switching to brilliant plusnet (had great experience with them 10yrs ago). Left talk talk because of their mediocre customer service and thought of plusnet since having way back in thd past and plenty of media coverage. Since switching have had no end of 'no connection to internet' on all devices using hub one wifi. Had an engineer out as was told there was a line fault. He said that now my broadband speed would be higher and shhoould resolve issues. Partner is working from home and literally screaming at his computer that constantly locks up and I have tears from my gaming child who disconnects a lot during matches..... I. Mean really, do I have to resort to forking out on a new router myself!!?? Am now considering the return with tail between legs to talktalk as I'm ashamed to say their router never failed. I am not particularly tech savvy, but no connection several times a day is a joke on any front and not worth the money for super fast fibre if it only connects randomly (I have tried 1 device at midnight with a upload of 6!).
11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Nightmare wifi dropouts!!

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Fibre

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
BrightonRock
Pro
Fixes: 8

Welcome to the Forum @Ali47 

You say that you have had a line problem. Are you sure that what you are now experiencing is a wifi problem rather than the connection dropping to the outside world? Does the blue light on the Hub change when you run into one of these episodes?

If it is wifi: There is a known issue with the Hub One that relates to it connecting on 2 frequencies.. By default they have the same ID which can cause some kit - particularly but not exclusively iThings - to lose connection. The advice is to give them different IDs, See https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Devices-stop-working-on-5-GHz-connection-Wifi-drops/m-p/1395...for how to do it. I don't know whether this will solve your problem, but it is a worthwhile first step.

If that doesn't solve then there is a helpful check on the Plusnet website that aims to try and improve wifi connections. Start at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/

Please let us know how you get on.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

@Ali47 sorry to hear you're experiencing problems Sad

I've just pushed a software update to your router that may help resolve some of the issue you're reporting.

You'll need to power the router off/back on at your side to apply it.

Let me know how you get on.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Ali47
Hooked

Hiya, I have followed instructions and split 2.4 and 5GHz channels but don't think can really be my issue as I have 7 items connected to the 2.4GHz only and only 2 are apple products and we see WiFi outage on all products. When we had a line test ran this was a problem (as when phone rang all wifi products lost connection immediately). The phone issue was resolved by open reach who installed new masterswitch and said speeds should improve in general. We still have random drop out and I am waiting to see if things improve now I have followed the split advise??? I shall update if problems are still occuring within the next 24Hrs or so. Thank you for ongoing support. 😁
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Ali47 - you shouldn't need to split the Wi-Fi channels following the update I pushed to your router.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Ali47
Hooked

Hello Bob. I have had no problems since the software update now in 2 weeks thankfully. Splitting the channels as mentioned made no difference as only 1 Apple Imac was using WiFi on the 5ghz channel and was nit the issue. Everyone now wonderful thank you.
Ali47
Hooked

Hello Bob. I'm sorry to say that the problem of little to no WiFi is back again?? Been about a week now. Just done a speed test and download is 5.6mbps. I can't understand why this should be an issue again. Any chance you/ someone can help?
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@Ali47 your physical Internet connection has dropped 12 or so times during the last week. Assuming that's not you rebooting the router then it suggests the issue here is with your line and not the hub.

I'd suggest getting another fault report raised if you haven't already.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Ali47
Hooked

Hi Bob. We had an open reach engineer out again today and he found that the line had been broken (literally snapped) in the manhole up the road! Whilst he has reconnected and checked the line - now have my phone line back, the WiFi is literally unusable again!! I have to say I am sooo at the end of my tether with this whole thing as it is really impacting on my partners home working and he wants to leave plusnet. I know it is BT rather than plusnet that have messed up but for the money we pay each month we have no service. I don't know who I should talk to about this as it cannot go on - even don't mind paying to get out at this stage as I will just put it down to bad luck but maybe fibre is the only reliable option?? Do you know if the problem could be permanently fixed with another patxh/software update - I feel like I am the largest pain in the butt now but I'm desperate. Thanks 😓
Ali47
Hooked

Download 2.59, upload 1.92 as measured at 9.50pm next to router.
Ali47
Hooked

Hi Bob,
Just an update. An engineer is now booked after phoning customer services (3rd time now! ).
It appears there is heavy resistance on the line so repair has not worked properly.
Let's hope 3rd time lucky?

Will post if things get back to speed afterwards. Fingers crossed.