Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nightly Disconnections. Banded. DLM?

MarcusA
Dabbler

Nightly Disconnections. Banded. DLM?

Hello all,

I'm hoping Gandalf or one of the forum admins can help me out.

I experienced a random disconnection back in January, and my connection was banded to 43mb downstream, along with my SNR doubling from 3db to 6db. I've been a Plusnet customer for a long time (8-9 years-ish?), and my downstream throughput has always been around 52-53mb.

I put up with the banding, because I wasn't experiencing any further issues....Until recently...

My connection drops between Midnight-4am every day, without fail, and resyncs within a minute.

I've spent considerable time troubleshooting myself, before posting here. I've disconnected all other electrical devices in the house (Including boiler, washer etc), switched between 3 different routers, yet the disconnections still occur.

I understand that I'm within my speed range estimates, but I don't think that's really a fair argument, considering I've received over 50mb for quite some time now.

I'm convinced there's something funky going on with DLM, and my profile is stuck.

I've been a longstanding customer, and my contract is due to end April 15th. I'd really appreciate if someone could humour me, and request a reset from Openreach, as its driving me mental.

I understand there's probably a cost levied by Openreach for DLM requests, but I'd be actually be willing to pay it myself, if we can get this sorted.

Cheers, and stay safe,
Marcus
3 REPLIES 3
MarcusA
Dabbler

Re: Nightly Disconnections. Banded. DLM?

Do the admins still reply here, anymore?

I also raised a support ticket last Tuesday, which has had no reply.

I'd really appreciate if someone could check my line and look into this for me?

Cheers,
Marcus
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Marcus, apologies first of all for the delayed staff response.

Our tests aren't showing your speeds to be banded so we can't request a DLM reset I'm afraid, there'd be no benefit anyway as you're already on the top banding: "Downstream: 0.128M-80M with Retransmission (Low). Upstream: 0.128M-20M with no error protection" We'd only be able to request a DLM reset if your sync speed hits the top end of banding.

Also it looks like your router's in sync at around 45mbps which is within the estimated speed range for your line of between 35mbps to 52.8mbps as shown by entering your landline number Here so we wouldn't be able to raise a speed fault with Openreach based on this but we can definitely see the nightly drops in your connection.

I can see we've changed the stability profile of your line from Standard to Stable to try to battle the disconnections, but it doesn't look like that's had any effect. Changing the stability profile basically influences DLM in its decision making, whether it'd apply a high form of retransmission or interleaving (a form of error correction)

From what I can see the increase in stability profile hasn't stabilised your line and at this point it's likely to be a hindrance against your speed (generally the higher this profile the lower your speed) I'm changing it back to Standard.

Our diagnostics tool is showing however a potential line issue so I'd recommend we arrange an engineer to investigate further. It'll need to be booked as an engineer appointment to your property but as there's no total loss of service, the engineer will be likely to phone you on the day and do what they can to investigate the problem externally.

Can you respond to your ticket by going Here with some availability when you'll be free for an engineer visit? If you can post back once you've responded, we'll make sure that's picked up for you as soon as we can.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MarcusA
Dabbler

Hi Anoush,

Thanks for your reply last week.

I've been replying via the support ticket which has now been open for 17 days.

One of your colleagues agreed that it looked like a DLM issue and apparently sent it over to Openreach for an engineer to go to the exchange.

I haven't had any update on that escalation, But...I have had another first line support rep place another stability request on the line (Even though you clearly mention in the ticket, that line stabilisation changes have had no impact on my disconnections, and that you removed it)

Is there anyway you can get this pushed through to Openreach for me please?

I'm really tired of stressing about it now.

I'm trying to be patient, but its been 17 days since my ticket was opened, and I now feel like I'm going round in circles with the support team.

If it can't be sorted out, I'll be cancelling my contract renewal next week.

Stay safe mate,
Cheers