cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Night time streaming unusable

guitaristanime
Hooked

Night time streaming unusable

For the past few weeks, as soon as 10:30pm rolls around i have been unable to stream on netflix, play any online gaming or stream video files on plex over remote.

Im an IT technical architect, its nothing in my home, i have checked to the point where I've had literally this one device connected, all signs point to this being traffic shaping. Why? Because my speed tests always come back around 40-50Mb in the evening, despite that being 20Mb lower than what i would normally expect in the day time, 40Mb is plenty capable of streaming a 480p video file, something I am unable to do after 10:30pm.

I can't speak to CS when the issue is happening for obvious reasons.

How can I solve this?
5 REPLIES 5
guitaristanime
Hooked

Re: Night time streaming unusable

Actually, you probably don't see this often, I have to apologise as I was wrong, here's an amusing tale for you - I'd still like some help though if anyone has any ideas for this odd odd problem.

Last night, frustrated in bed with my wife (no it's not that) as Netflix once again ground to a halt and I cursed, I began thinking. I ran a speedtest from the browser on the TV and it came back at 3Mb. Curious.In unison, my wife then proceeded to tell me, the know it all IT guy that her YouTube app on her phone is fine -- she's right it is and that blows my theory out the window.

Curious indeed, I download the Netflix app to my phone, behold, it's fine.

Here's the facts:

• Prior to 10:30 pm the bedroom smart TV can stream data at a normal, acceptable speed, quick enough to play 1080p video files, the issue when it occurs after 10:30, not only affects files streamed from the internet but files that are hosted locally on my media-server and stream over the LAN.
  • It does not matter if the TV is connected by ethernet cable, home plugs, Wi-Fi, it will always become unusable after 10:30 pm.
  • It wasn't always like this, nothing has changed to my knowledge for this to have happened, but when I first bought the TV some time ago it did work fine.
  • I've been through all the TV settings to make sure there's no updates or anything pending and now auto-update at that time.
  • My issue with gaming after 10:30 pm may just be a coincidence that I will look into further.
  • Multiple other devices can stream whilst the TV is throwing it's toys out of the pram, contrary to my previous message.
  • My wife won't let this go now that she was 'right'.

Weird right? Any suggestions greatly appreciated before I cry into a pillow at night!

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Welcome to the community forums @guitaristanime

@guitaristanime wrote:
not only affects files streamed from the internet but files that are hosted locally on my media-server and stream over the LAN.

Just based off this line alone, it could really be anything, from electrical interference/REIN, to backups/downloads utilising your networks bandwidth, however as it's also effecting locally hosted streaming, it's unlikely to be a problem from our side of things I'm afraid.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
guitaristanime
Hooked

That's ok I was no longer pointing the finger at PN or BT. I purely wanted some ideas Smiley

I've got a new AP and router to try.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Let us know how it goes.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
guitaristanime
Hooked

Just installed, only had to change VDSL VLAN tag and stick my creds in. Everything else defaulted well.

Is there anything else that I might need to look at out of the box that may need to be changed? Performance seems good. Screenshots attached