cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Doors PN Fibre is over 11mb faster than mine

BrokenFibre
Dabbler

Re: Next Doors PN Fibre is over 11mb faster than mine

The profile 17a is, I believe the standard that is used on all line regardless of the package taken and the speeds are then capped if the customer on takes a 40/2, 40/10, 55/10 package.

Also a google search and a visit to kitz shows that Annex B is what we over here in the UK and Europe use and Annex A is used in the US and Canada http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,11188.msg217315.html?PHPSESSID=609060bd5ccc2bc8cf9266af59eb6....  I think that you have Annex A and B confused with what is reported on BT's checker that stats that 'A' is a clean line and 'B' which is impacted.

As you can see from my stats attached in my above post both my download and upload speed are higher than my current stated max speed.  From what I have read this is because the last time my modem was re-synced it did so with both download and upload noise margins at 6.0dB.  now that they have failed to 5.4 and 5.8 respectively and as such the max attainable has dropped to reflect this.  As my line is not being affected I have no reason to reboot the modem to re-sync.  DLM will do this for me if my line becomes unstable at which time my actual sync speed would drop below to max attainable where it should be.

As for the attention on the upload at 0, not sure what to make of this, mine is at 0.

@cwaite, personally I would leave your HG612 alone and let DLM do its thing as the frequent reboots affect your line and give you a lower sync speed as DLM will think your line is unstable.  Just last Christmas I lost around 12-13Mb on both my down and up sync speeds whereas for the last 2 years at this address with both sky and plusnet I never had this happen.  Plusnet did the usual checks and found nothing wrong with my line.  I just chalked it up to crosstalk and the fact that extra people may be taking up FTTC.  However I kept checking daily if the speed had increased but nothing, then one morning my NowTV froze when watching a TV program, when I checked the modem it has automatically re-synced and the down speed increased back to its previous level and the upload has also increase but not to where it used to be (I was around the 19000's).

You may or may not know that DLM is constantly running on an FTTC connection and will make changes it sees fit.  It can take up to 2 weeks for DLM to decide that you line is stable and increase your speed, if it can.

I also found that I gained an extra 2Mb speed from replacing the standard 1.5m RJ11 cable that came with my Sky equipment way back when with my own much shorter one which I made using  Cat5e cable and some RJ11 plugs and by cutting away the unused pairs so that the plugs fit on the cable.  I did this a because my HG612 is bolted on the wall next to the BT VDSL faceplate (what you have (the top socket is filtered and doesn't require a separate filter)) and the 1.5m lead was overkill and not needed.  Its not a guarantee that this will work for you or others, but my way of thinking is the less copper on the line the better.

cwaite
Rising Star

Thanks guys your replies are very informative, I will post this on Kitz and see if anyone there can shed some light on why there is such a difference and if there are a high number of errors on the line

@snadge I know what you mean about Openreach engineers, when I had them investigating the low speed a few years back every engineer that came told me one thing but put something completely different in their report to PlusNet, so I have no confidence in what the engineers say, even less now 2 years on and my neighbour is getting speeds that Openreach said I would never get in my location.

Openreach measured my line at approximately 650 meters from the Cabinet, and when I 1st joined PlusNet Fibre I was getting 36mbps on the day of installation, this dropped to 33mbps a few days later (as plusnet told me that I should get 40mbps this estimate they said was accurate to + or - 1 mbps), as this was lower than the estimate PlusNet send out Openreach to investigate, they made several pair swaps which just caused the speed to go lower each time the engineers told me the speed would improve in 72 hours and they would monitor the situation, when in fact all they ever did was close the job stating that the fault was fixed, at one pair swap it dropped to 13mbs, the last pair swap got me around 33mbs but over time this has dropped again.

@BrokenFibre I will see if I can make up a short cable (I have some CAT 6 in the loft), just got to see if I can get some RJ11 plugs. Openreach always claimed that they were getting the same speeds at the bottom of the pole across the road but this could have been Openreach BS!

I don't switch off my router or HG612 unless there is a problem, its probably been rebooted no more that 3 times in the last year and 2 of those times was to update the firmware on my router, I will bear in mind about the DLM and try to leave the connection for 2 weeks to try and prevent and unnecessary drop in speed.

Just on a side note a few of the Openreach engineers that visited me asked if I had CCTV and seem to believe this would interfere with VDSL has anyone heard of this? 

snadge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

@BrokenFibre  I got the Annex A/B thing from another website when i was googling trying to help which said the same as i what i said---BUT---shows how age & illness is affecting me...i should of known that answer as I forgot until you reminded me lol...just spent 2 years on cable (from adsl) so been away from the xDSL scene for a while, thats my excuse lol...

@cwaite - at 650 meters from the cab thats good for about 30-35Mbps on a clean line, if theres a lot of take up of FTTC in your street then this will decrease - your neighbours pair might be

A) near lots of unused/clean pairs in the cable and thus not receiving much noise, while yours is in amongst all the used ones on FTTC, this would mean huge amounts of Xtalk decreasing the sync speed
B) just got started and his too might decrease after a week or so while DLM trains his new line

- my MAX speed is slowly dropping and ive only been live a month, was 70...now its 67

PlusNet saying the accuracy is 1Mbps+/- is absolute bull-[-Censored-], if so why does my estimation say 58-78, thats 20Mbps+/-  ..total rubbish that

as for CCTV thing - ive never heard of it - always ask them WHY? how does it do that? - that'll stump em OR get you answers - the only way it might be possible is if they are giving off some sort of interference OR the BTOR might think its on your network constantly streaming thus giving you slower speedtests BUT the sync wouldnt be affected...anyway, ive not heard of it...but as I say im new to FTTx connection myself

BrokenFibre
Dabbler

@snadge - no worries, old age catches up with us all (me included)

@cwaite - not sure about the CCTV interference, a google search could help you out here.  RJ11 plugs and a crimp tool can be found online for less than £15 - just read reviews first.

Smeaghoul
Dabbler

As far as CCTV is concerned, it's a bit like having a teenager sitting in their bedroom playing internet games 24/7, it takes bandwidth, probably not the problem here though, the most likely cause would be the wiring in your house, the ADSL frontplate was not meant for VDSL lines although on a 40Mb connection it should have minimal effect (does make a difference at 80Mb), possibly the most likely cause (and certainly first thing I'd check) would be corrosion of the copper wires connecting to the backbox, as far as I remember there are only two, try pulling them out and re-inserting them (no need to strip insulation just push in with thin (blunt) metal strip, or better yet a proper tool for around £1), also you could try a VDSL faceplate they're about a fiver.

snadge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

this might be viable to what I said about all the pairs in the cable your VS your neighbours etc

http://rsgb.org/main/blog/news/rsgb-notices/2017/01/10/vdsl-interference/

The RSGB’s Electromagnetic Compatibility Committee (EMCC) has worked with BT Technology Services and Operations and also Openreach to design a new process to improve the way multiple line checks are done. This can only be used where the EMCC has received reports from amateurs that it checks and believes are caused by VDSL RFI. In these cases, lines in the near vicinity of the complainant can be checked remotely to see if they exhibit line faults that may increase VDSL RFI problems. If metallic line faults are identified, Openreach will then take steps to fix them.

If you want to follow this route please request a form from emc.chairman@rsgb.org.uk  The EMCC will review the case and, if appropriate, will pass it to Openreach for remote testing of your line and nearby lines. This process can take several months to complete especially if there are many lines to check.

In the trials to date, around 20% of amateurs who have had this check done have reported much reduced RFI after fault correction, another 20% have seen some improvement and about 60% of problems were identified as possible issues in home wiring that Openreach is not in a position to address.

The RSGB is grateful to Openreach for providing this service to help amateurs reduce the RFI caused by line faults.

sourced from KITZ Wink

use the email and see if you can get BTOR to run tests on other pairs for RFI - I know you say the BTOR engineer checked a few other pairs but we dunno what they were checking for, or if they're very experienced or new and know very little...most know just enough to setup/check a line (what i like to call Linesmen), most of em know nothing about how it all actually works inside the system (..Bit-Loading..SNR..QLN..etc etc etc) -  I've had a broadband BTOR engineer tell ME i know more than HIM!...even though he was the one who fixed my Split Pair that was caused by the 1st NEW INEXPERIENCED BTOR engineer (he told me it was his first week on the job) who was switching me over from BT DSLAM onto Sky's MSAN and caused the fault in the process...

keep on their backs.. I won (after 3 months and 7 BTOR visits when my Sky dropped from 19Mb sync to 9Mb) luckily because i had print outs of all my line stats on graphs, using advanced monitoring software from KITZ that communicates with broadcom chipsets - was a Netgear DG834N at the time) showing BEFORE (clean QLN) and AFTER (massive noise spikes on the QLN test - QLN = Quiet Line Noise) and they can do these QLN tests on their JDSU handhelds as well as others - anyway i kept shoving them in BTORs face every time they come lol and every single one of em (even the REIN engineer) didnt have a clue what they were looking at ?Huh

anyway im dribbling on...best of luck with it Smiley