Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newish fibre install - Confused!

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Newish fibre install - Confused!

Finally got fibre installed on the 2nd attempt and reasonably happy (hard to be when it's such a big step from the 0.4mb/s I was getting) but I do have a few issues with it that I cannot get my head around.
When I started looking at fibre this is what I got as being achievable
BT Broadband checker says
FTTC Range A (Clean) 80 80
FTTC Range B (Impacted) 80 76.7
From the BT wholesale website it says that the 'IP Profile for my line is - 70.08 Mbps'
From Plusnet
Current Line Speed  78 Mb
Most speedtests tend to come in most times at about the 63mb/s (download) range although tonight BT wholesale: Download speed achieved during the test was - 45.67 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 40 Mbps-70.08 Mbps.
Upload via the BTWholesale was even worse: Upload speed achieved during the test was - 2.6Mbps although usually most sites tend to be about 17/18mb, which to me is fine.
But why the difference in the download speeds? And why is the IP profile set to 70.08Mbps when the current line speed is shown as 78mb.
Am I getting the max for the connection (it's not as if the cabinet is that far away) or is something not quite right?
I might add that the engineer who installed it said he would phone me back with the speeds. Never did hear from him again. He also turned up with a 2nd hand OR modem!
Inspires confidence...not!
Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
5 REPLIES 5
tijara33
Pro

Re: Newish fibre install - Confused!

Are you testing wired or wireless & if the latter, are you using the PN supplied router?
idonno
Champion

I'm currently using my TP-LINK Archer C9 AC1900 Wireless Dual Band Router but I've also used the Plusnet supplied one. I've tried testing - wireless and wired (with a slight difference in the Plusnet router). The TP Link is using 802.11ac. The router is 3 metres away from the desktop computer. Either way, results in the same maxed download speed. Most I've ever seen is 67mb and that was on the first day of connection. As mentioned, 63mb seems to be flavour of the month across most speedtest sites I've tried.
Thanks
Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
MelRocks
Grafter

Hi there,
I'm sorry to hear that the speeds are lower than you expected, first thing I would suggest is going through making a PPPoE connection as per this link:
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...
If the speeds are still poor on this type of connection then raise a fault here: http://faults.plus.net.
Thank you. Smiley
idonno
Champion

Strange things a foot.
BT IP profile is now 70.72. Plusnet Current line speed: 70.6 Mb
Speeds seem to be going up as well 65mb (wireless) seems to be average. When n one is using the internet, I'll disconnect the router and give the direct modem connection a go.
Be interesting to see what I get.
Thanks  MelRocks 
idonno
Champion

Quote from: MelRocks
If the speeds are still poor on this type of connection then raise a fault here: http://faults.plus.net.
Thank you. Smiley

Carried out a couple of speedtests using just the OR modem via PPPoE. I've raised a fault. Seems both tests report around the same level 66 / 67mb's is max.
Thanks for your help