cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie getting Unlimited Fibre Extra package.....couple of questions...

Malcky
Grafter

Newbie getting Unlimited Fibre Extra package.....couple of questions...

Hi folks, just thought would start off by saying hello.....
Im getting Unlimited fibre extra package starting on the 11th August and don't have any routers or modems posted to me yet, which is what I would like to know.....will I get an open reach modem and a router or do plusnet have an all in one modem/router yet?
If an open reach modem (ECI or Huawei) branded is sent out to me, does it make any difference and to what type of street cabinet (ECI or Huawei) to whichever modem I'm sent?
Thanks
Malcky
8 REPLIES 8
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

Re: Newbie getting Unlimited Fibre Extra package.....couple of questions...

You get a router in the post from PN and the engineer brings the modem with him. You may be able to convince him to give you the modem of your choice.  Wink
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

What you might want to do is try and hunt down your cabinet. If you can find it, you should be able to identify the type (Huawei or ECI). You can use the following link to help identify it...
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/fttc-cabinets.htm
You may not have a choice of modem when the engineer comes, but it is worth asking for the Huawei if your cabinet is a Huawei. One reason for this is that the Huawei modem can be easily unlocked to obtain access to your line stats (useful for fault investigation, speed issues etc).
If your cabinet is ECI, some people say an ECI modem is better. However some say it doesn't matter, and some actually say a Huawei modem is better on an ECI cabinet! If it were me, I would still take the Huawei modem just because it is easy to unlock and that is useful in itself.
Malcky
Grafter

I know exactly where the cabinets are for my area but can't recall how it looks to know if its a ECI or Huawei or not....will take a closer look/pic and compare it to the link mentioned above and post back later on.
In order to get line stats, the modem needs to be unlocked if I've read that right.....is the only way to get that info is connect the lan 2 port to the router....or can i connect the lan 2 of the modem to my laptop instead?
Only reason i ask is because my router is 10m away from where the modem will be positioned, they will be connected together by cat6 cable, so a laptop to lan port 2 would be easier.
Malcky
Grafter

Here is a picture of my street cabinet.....looks to be a Huawei one to me???

jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Yes, looks like a Huawei cabinet, so ask the installer if he/she has a Huawei modem. I think most installers these days are carrying ECI modems though.
You could get an HG612 from the auction sites (I got mine for 10 pounds). Don't bother buying one that is already unlocked, as it costs more and it's easy to do yourself.
Regarding plugging a laptop straight in, I think that can be done. See the following link that mentions it (though the bulk of the discussion relates to plugging it into the router).
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/fibre/4320504-accessing-hg612-modem-with-laptop-via-wireless-and-no...
Your other option (though this is probably not the best option, but worth a mention none the less), is to use that CAT6 cable to act as a VDSL extension from the master socket. One of the twisted pairs of the CAT6 cable could be kroned into the AB terminals (unfiltered) of the master socket. The other end could terminate in an RJ11 linebox near your router. Now you can have the modem and the router in the one place (and access your line stats all the time). Also handy if you decide to go for a combined modem/router.
Like I say, you probably don't want to change things around that much, but it is an option.
Malcky
Grafter

Thanks for that jafreer, your suggestion of the VDSL extension is easy for me to do if I wanted to as the master socket is at 1 side of my living room which i already fitted with the MK2 faceplate which connects to the Sky router (Wifi & Access point dissabled), then the cat6 cable runs from the Sky router round the room to my Apple Airport (AC) Extreme router (working in bridged mode) to supply all wifi and hard wired access to all my household devices.
Room has changed about a bit since installed this way, so it would be very easy to unplug cat6 cable from Sky router and wire that into the MK2 faceplate and have the open reach modem located near the Apple Router.....and actually use this as a router rather than an expensive access point/switch. 
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

I expect you will find that the faceplate ADSL socket is RJ45, so the CAT6 cable will plug in to that. Unfortunately, you need to get at the blue pair at the other end, as the modem is RJ11/12 and will not accept the RJ45. I'm not recommending it, but as the 6P connectors (RJ11/12) will fit an 8P socket (RJ45), you could join the modem cable and the CAT6 with an RJ45 coupler, which would make testing "at the master/without the extension" easier if you need to do that.
Phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

And when the engineer comes, see if he/she will fit a MK3 faceplate as it supposedly has slightly improved filter components. Not sure whether they will if you already have a MK2 but worth asking.