cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New user - BT Home Hub questions

donka
Grafter

New user - BT Home Hub questions

We are finally getting our fibre cabinet installed so planning ahead. I think I would prefer a single box instead of separate modern and router so looking at potentially picking up a Home Hub 5.
The location would be in the same room as the master socket but probably about 4 metres away.
Some questions.
1. What length of cable is supplied between the master socket and the modern? Is it safe to use a 5 metre cable in place?
2. Any potential performance or compatibility issues with the Home Hub 5 or is it a good choice?
3. Would the Home Hub try and generate a BT hotspot or is that only with BT as the ISP?
Thanks.
11 REPLIES 11
kankali
Grafter

Re: New user - BT Home Hub questions

donka,
1) Mine is on a 2-3m cable, which came with the HH5. No issues using this length.
2) I have been using mine for 12 months without issue, just remember to enter your PN username and password
3) Mine doesn't generate the BT hotspots
4) Your HH will still receive firmware updates, if you start getting a lot of disconnects after one of these then a factory reset normally fixes it.
Regards, David
donka
Grafter

Many thanks David, much appreciated.
Grezzer36
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've been using HHub5 without BT modem for 6 weeks now. Using standard lenght cable like David B. No probs. Mine received firmware update on 22nd Jan.
Had fibre installed early Dec. Used BT modem & PNet router then replaced them with Hub 5 from ebay after after few days when line settled. Like David B no hotspot from mine. As He says need to use your PNet username etc.
Good luck when you finally get fibre. Huge difference for me from 2mb adsl !!
Smiley
donka
Grafter

Thanks guys. Might still be a few months away depending on how long the cabinet installation takes but just making sure I am prepared in advance. Smiley
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Would the Home Hub try and generate a BT hotspot or is that only with BT as the ISP?
My understanding  is that if the hub has been connected to BT then it will have been set to generate a Hotspot and will continue to do so. If you factory reset before using it then that will disable the hotspot and unless it it connected back to BT it will not enable again.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

donka
Grafter

Quote from: MisterW
Would the Home Hub try and generate a BT hotspot or is that only with BT as the ISP?
My understanding  is that if the hub has been connected to BT then it will have been set to generate a Hotspot and will continue to do so. If you factory reset before using it then that will disable the hotspot and unless it it connected back to BT it will not enable again.
Hope that helps

Thanks, yes it does help.
kankali
Grafter

donka,
The HH5 will also work on ADSL (Provided it's BT or PN), so you can get everything set up before the fibre gets activated.
Keep your eye out for new ones for sale on the auction sites, they tend to go for less that £40 inc postage. At that price there good value.
Regards, David
Grezzer36
Rising Star

Same as David B, I 1st set my hub 5 up on adsl. Approx £35 inc postage ebay. Plenty new ones around. Just give yourself plenty of time so you can get one at right price for you. Worth still having BTmodem & PNet router for initial set up by engineer & spares later, or any potential fault checking later on.
Smiley
Grezzer36
Rising Star

Forgot to mention NortEasterner's really good thread here: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,135840.0.html
donka
Grafter

Thanks all - I've been keeping an eye on the auction site and got a few bids out there already with the intention of buying soon and setting up on my current ADSL so I can get a feel for performance and coverage.
I'm also toying with using the OR modem and an Apple Airport Extreme as that reviews well and I have a lot of Apple kit but still undecided as I'm sure I would prefer the single box solution. Either way, I'll still have the modem and separate PN router at the start until the line has settled. Smiley
donka
Grafter

Just as an update, I've been running with the Home Hub 5 since Saturday and it's performing well - Wireless range is better than I expected for such a small box and it's been rock solid for me. Configuration options are a little basic but does all I need and the hub make a quiet screeching noise when I run a speed test but seems that is very common with the Home Hub 5.
All I need now is the fibre cabinet to get installed...