cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to plusnet disappointingly low speed

lizzylou67

New to plusnet disappointingly low speed

Hi, after waiting for a month to be connected because the automated switch over system mucked up, I've been online with plusnet for 9 days. They estimated my speed to be between 32 and 43 MB, I'm lucky if it goes over 12. It was slow going first couple of days, then it did get up in the 20's which was fab (considering I was used to 5) but it's now back down at around 10, plus it keeps chucking me off all the time. I'm using devices wirelessly but was expecting much better results.

5 REPLIES 5
bobminors
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: New to plusnet disappointingly low speed

Do the BTW speed test and click on Further Diagnostics. This will register your line's performance on the BT server where PlusNet people can see it. If it's below expectation, you can report a fault.

lizzylou67

OK, being totaly computer illiterate, I did the speed test using the ethernet cable and am getting great speeds, in the 30's. why are my speeds so low wirelessly?  The hub is in the middle of the house so the furthest distance away  is approx 5 metres the house is timber framed upstairs,downstairs are 6" brick walls, so nothing particularly impeding to the signal. There's only me using the wifi when I'm running the tests, so not like the whole family's trying to download. I know it has reached speeds in the mid twenties on wireless, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

bobminors
Aspiring Pro

Okay, a few questions for clarification:

Are you using a Hub One router? (If you are, I can give you more precise guidance because I have one too).

Are you connecting on the 2.5GHz or 5GHz WiFi band? (5GHz gives you a potentially faster WiFi speed and possibly less interference, but the range is not so good)

Is your router set to do automatic channel selection, to try to avoid interference from neighbour's Wifi?

Do you know what your WiFi connection speeds are? If you have a Hub One, you can look on the Advanced Settings / Home Network and click on one of your connected devices to get its Connection Speed. If you have more than one, they will not necessarily be the same.

Do you have a laptop that you can move around to see how the Connection Speed varies around the house?

lizzylou67

Hi Bob, 

Yes it is a hub one.

My pc is on 2.4 along with 3 other devices and 2 devices on 5.

Nearest neighbours are 150 metres away.

I did what you suggested in advanced settings and the connection at this moment in time is 29mbs to my pc. I did the online speed checker and it's coming out at 24mbs but this is not always the case, it's usually running at  about 12mbs, whereas my i pad is usually running at about 23mbs when testing one after the other, they are both on 2.4GHz. My pc is about 3-4 metres away from the hub. It is in a different room but the router is opposite the door which is open all the time. So I'm guessing it's a problem with the pc, as I'm getting a no internet connection message quite regularly as well when the mobile devices are connecting fine and the router is still blue.

bobminors
Aspiring Pro

It does sound like the problem is with the PC. I had a laptop once that was forever dropping out and never really found out why. The problem went away when I upgraded it to Windows 10, so I decided it must have been a flaky driver on the wireless card. I don't think that's your problem, though. It might account for dropouts, but not for running slow.