Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to fibre broadband

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: New to fibre broadband

I'm a bit confused (so nothing new there!!!). You should only have one Master socket with a face plate - no other extension would have a hidden socket. Unless, at some point in the past the Master socket has been moved upstairs.

The test socket behind the Master is the direct connection to the incoming line. Any extension should be wired to the face plate which is then plugged into the test socket. This is why people get advised to try the Test socket - it eliminates any internal wiring. If you're getting the expected speed at the test socket then, as already mentioned, it points to an internal wiring problem. Unless OpenReach installed this wiring it's more than possible an Engineer visit to sort things out would be chargeable.

One thing to considered is how old is the Master socket. It could be the "bell" wire is still attached which can cause problems. A photo of the back of the face plate night help.

Brian

Kazzamac
Dabbler

I have no idea if we have a filtered faceplate. I have hopefully attached photos of what we have downstairs and then I'll do upstairs in the next post

Kazzamac
Dabbler

Downstairs faceplate

Kazzamac
Dabbler

yfront
Grafter

It may help if you could list all your telephone sockets and what if anything is plugged into each one including filters if fitted.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Is there anything connected to terminal 3? Nowadays it is normally 2 & 5 that are required.

There's a good description of the ring wire here.

Kazzamac
Dabbler

We have the main socket downstairs that only the phone is plugged into with a micro filter.

The Plusnet router is in the upstairs socket. We have concrete flooring which WiFi doesn't really work through so the router is hooked up to a Netgear switch. When we built the house we knew concrete would be a problem with WiFi so we had the house hard wired, possibly CAT5. We then have a router in the sunroom where the WiFi doesn't get to. It is just used as a WiFi extender and is plugged into a hardwire point.

Hope that helps explain the set-up

bmc
Hero

Who installed the upstairs socket? I don't understand why there are two cables running from downstairs to upstairs.

Brian

Kazzamac
Dabbler

Only 2 and 5 are used, 3 is empty. The house was built about 9 years ago

Kazzamac
Dabbler

Our electrician set this up but sadly died a few years ago.

yfront
Grafter

The upstairs picture shows non bt cable, perhaps the bt socket is being used as terminating point for the cat 5 wiring.

You say the WiFi extender is plugged into a hard wired socket, try unplugging this and see what happens.

I must say it seems a bit of a mess, you may need to bite the bullet and pay someone to sort it.

What part of the world are you?

Just in case someone on here is near enough to come to your assistance.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

That's some really strange wiring!

The upstairs socket is a standard master socket rather than an extension socket.

Why there are 2 cables going to it I'm not sure , are there any other sockets ?

The wiring in the downstairs socket is strange to say the least!. Why are there jelly crimps instead of the wires just inserted into the IDC connector ? Looks like BT have messed with this setup at some time, as I'm not sure any one else would use jelly crimps.

Is it possible that a BT engineer moved the master socket from downstairs to upstairs at some time ?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero

Was the upstairs extension installed when the house was built or later? Or to put it another way can you follow the cabling?

It would appear the Master socket is wired as expected. The incoming cable (I'm guessing as I can't see it) is wired to the socket and the extension is wired to the face plate. Could it be crimps have been used to extend the length of the extension cable as it seems too short to allow the face plate to be put on / taken off.

Still can't understand the second cable. It leaves the Master socket and appears to be wired to the upstairs socket. If it didn't appear in the photo I'd swear there was a second extension.

Brian

Kazzamac
Dabbler

Sorry, dinner was ready there and about to go out.

Just found out from husband that there are extension sockets in bedroom and a really high up one in hall cupboard (no idea why). Neither have ever been used.

I unplugged the WiFi extender router and put the Plusnet router in the main socket. Got similar results to earlier.

Don't think a Bt engineer has ever been to socket upstairs.

All work was done at time house was built.

Can't follow cabling as floors tiled and concrete underneath.

Think our best bet is going back to normal broadband. At least with that we get around 2.5.

If anyone is in Northern Ireland and fancies a challenge it's all yours.

bmc
Hero

Using the test socket downstairs shows you can received a download speed of around 16.5 so it's question of whether you want this or are happy to go back to around 2.5 - 3.

It appears to be a wiring problem with your extensions which is causing the loss of speed. When you have time can you try something. With the Master face plate attached can you take a phone (with a filter) and see if you get a dial tone at the 3 other extensions.

Then take the face plate out and try the extensions again. If no dial tone is received at any extension then the first part of the wiring is correct. The phone line is connected to the Master and the extensions (all 3) to the face plate.

Just as an aside - you said all rooms have a Ethernet connection wired. Does this include the room with the Master socket? I'm thinking along the lines of having the router downstairs and using the Ethernet connection there to connect to the switch upstairs.

Brian