cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to fibre broadband

Kazzamac
Dabbler

New to fibre broadband

We joined Plusnet fibre broadband on Friday having been with a previous provider on standard broadband. 

I've read through other threads on here but it's all double dutch to me.

When we signed up our estimated download speed was 13-19Mb, upload 1-2Mb, minimum guaranteed 11.4Mb.

The broadband is running really slow and when we did a speed test last night plugging the laptop straight into the router it gave us 0.98Mbps. with our previous non fibre broadband we would get between 2.5 and 3.5.

I know you're meant to give the fibre a few days to settle down but it's like being back on dial up again!

Does anyone have any suggestions or should I wait in the 45 minute queue to speak to someone ?

Thanks

46 REPLIES 46
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: New to fibre broadband

I suspect we may need to get a engineer out based on the information below

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0003
Description No problem found, OAM test is not currently supported on this line.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 0.8 Mbps
Upstream Speed 1.2 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 4598.9
Upstream Rate Assessment Line too long to assess
Downstream Rate Assessment Line too long to assess
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-40M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-2M Upstream, Error Protection Off
Time Stamp 2017-06-30T09:15:00

Essentially it may be the case that your too far from the cabinet to get the speeds estimated. If this is the case you can go back to standard broadband or leave free of charge.

You'll need to raise a fault here so we can look into this further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Kazzamac
Dabbler

Thanks, I have raised a fault. We do live in a rural location but our neighbour in the same lane gets 12 Mb so would expect us to get something similar.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for raising the fault,

I've worked the ticket now, let us know once you've replied. You can view the ticket here: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=152844889

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Kazzamac
Dabbler

I've plugged the router straight into the test socket and got 17.62Mbs. Does this means it is something to do with our wiring causing the fibre to be so slow? Is there any way of fixing this?

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

It would suggest it is somewhere within your property if those are the speeds you expect to get now.

So check everything, the front socket of the master socket next - if you get the same, fine. Otherwise the could be a fault with the socket so BT Wholesale need to change it.

Then go one by one reconnecting everything else (phones, extensions, Sky boxes), keep testing to spot what it is. I had a problem with my phone line (voice) and it was an old extension cable at fault.

Kazzamac
Dabbler

Thank you so much for all the help. I really have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm learning!

Ok, so I did the test again with the router straight into the test socket

- download - 16.57

- upload - 1.15

I then put the face plate back on and plugged router and phone cable into main socket with a micro filter. This time I got

- download - 2.52

-upload - 1.12

I tried again with a different micro filter but I got a worse download speed of 1.73.

Is it looking like a fault at the faceplate and an engineer needs to come out or is there anything else I need to try first?

Alex
Community Veteran

Yes sounds like there is a problem with the Faceplate which BT will need to change, I think you've done what you can.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Are there any extension wires connected to the rear of the faceplate ? If so then it could still be the internal wiring causing the problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Kazzamac
Dabbler

The router is normally in an extension socket upstairs which then goes into a Netgear switch with hardwired to each room. How do I test if it's the faceplate or the extension socket?

Alex
Community Veteran

Good point @MisterW, I didn't think of that.
If a fault is found with connections within the master socket, then could that be chargeable?
Kazzamac
Dabbler

I have taken faceplate off the socket upstairs and plugged the router directly in there. I am only getting download 1.43 and upload 1.11. is it more likely the problem is upstairs then? Who would you call out to look at this if it's not BT?

Alex
Community Veteran

To me, it sounds like something else connected from the master socket is causing the problem, possibly the extension.

All BT will probably do is to hopefully not charge you for the visit and remove the extension wires from the master socket.
Kazzamac
Dabbler

If the extension wires are removed from the main socket will the router still work upstairs? It goes into a switch and then we have hardwired in each room. My husband uses this instead of WiFi. We also have an old router downstairs which is used as a WiFi extender and this is plugged into the hardwire. Unfortunately the person who set all this up for us is no longer with us and we haven't a clue.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

It seems a BIG drop in speed going from the test socket to an extension. You wouldn't expect that much drop due to just wiring.

It might seem a daft question, but do you have a 'filtered' faceplate and is the extension connected to the filtered socket by any chance ?

Perhaps you could take some photos of the master socket and faceplate...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.