cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Plusnet with some questions

hoonercat
Dabbler

New to Plusnet with some questions

Hi, I signed up to Plusnet Fibre and phone package and received an email confirming the installation has been provisionally booked. When I click on the 'reply to question' button it takes me to the Help Assistant but there is no option to reply, hence posting here. All questions in the Help Assistant are marked as closed. Just a few questions:
Service Notice #212713898 states that I will be paying £30.94 for the first 6 months, followed by £30.94 after month 7. The package I signed up for was 6 months free BB so not sure why the figure for the first 6 months is so high. The ticket also says that my expected speed will be 10Mmps but I received an email today which said 80Mbps so a bit confused by this (would have said the 10Mbps was more accurate).
Also like to say that the Help Assistant is excellent, a really good way of keeping the customer up to date.
21 REPLIES 21
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: New to Plusnet with some questions

Hi there,
Sorry for the confusion. There was an issue with this email recently, we've corrected this and can assure you that you won't be billed for your broadband over the first 6 months.
The speed estimate on the welcome email we sent is the correct one (10Mb). The other one you've been provided is wrong and I'll feed that back to the agent in question.
Let us know if you've got any other queries.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
hoonercat
Dabbler

Crikey that was a quick reply, much better than the 3 day wait on the TT forum Grin I've let TT know that I'm changing my phone and BB to Plusnet, do I need to do anything else or just sit and wait?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

The speed estimate on the welcome email we sent is the correct one (10Mb)
Does the welcome email not still send out the ADSL speed estimate rather than the Fibre ?
Surely 10Mb is a bit low for Fibre , I thought BT guarantee that the minimum sync speed will be 15Mbps or they won't offer to provide it...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

The welcome emails should send out the correct speeds, I've seen several since I've returned to the team that have the fibre speeds showing on there.
I'm not sure about the minimum sync, but I've definitely seen estimates lower than this one.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: MisterW
I thought BT guarantee that the minimum sync speed will be 15Mbps or they won't offer to provide it...

I believe that only really applies to BT Retail 'Infinity' branded FTTC.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The welcome emails should send out the correct speeds, I've seen several since I've returned to the team that have the fibre speeds showing on there.
Thanks Chris.
On the minimum sysnc, I stand corrected, it was originally 15Mb ( by BTw ) in Jan 2010 but they reduced it to 5Mb in Nov 2010 Roll_eyes

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hoonercat
Dabbler

I did have a BT engineer out a couple of weeks ago who tested the line and said it should be able to receive 18Mbps (he changed a few bits and pieces inside and outside the house).
I've had an email saying the phone line should go over to Plusnet on 12/12/15 but Fibre won't go live until the 13th. The engineer is due to visit on the 12th which means I can't test that the Fibre is working while he is there, and it's going to be virtually impossible for me to book any more time off work if another engineer visit is needed. Is there any way the Fibre can be activated before the 12th?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I've had an email saying the phone line should go over to Plusnet on 12/12/15 but Fibre won't go live until the 13th
I hope you mean 12/12/14 Smiley
The email is related to the fact that in the past , BB installations may not have been completed until midnight on the day and thus the account not active until the day after.
That's not the case with Fibre, the account SHOULD be active as soon as the installation is complete. The engineer will be able to test the Fibre is working to the modem anyway, and he should wait for you to plug in the router and test it. If for some reason your account isn't activated promptly you should be able to get it activated immediately by calling the CSC.

hoonercat
Dabbler

Oops yes I meant 2014 Shocked
The text from Plusnet says the fibre will be active by midnight on the 13th and asks that I don't plug in the router until I receive conformation.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
It's extremely unlikely to get a date any sooner than the 12th I'm afraid.
Hope everything goes to plan with the install though. Do drop us a reply back here if there's any problems.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'm sure one of the PlusNet CRT members will confirm but you should plug it in once the engineer has installed the modem and confirmed the Fibre is working. If it doesn't connect then as I said, the CSC should be able to activate the account immediately ( although some CSC staff don't seem to think so! )

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Quote from: hoonercat
The text from Plusnet says the fibre will be active by midnight on the 13th and asks that I don't plug in the router until I receive conformation.

I think it's best to think of 'midnight on the 13th' as 00:00 rather than 24:00 (each day has a momentary midnight at each end of the day), in this context I think 'by midnight on 13th' probably means by the end of the 12th!
BUT as MisterW says, call in once the engineer's been if it doesn't connect straight away and they should be able to activate you immediately (this may mean you get charged from the 12th rather than from the 13th but I don't imagine that will trouble you as much as not getting activated straight away).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
hoonercat
Dabbler

Engineer didn't show up today so I'm posting this on mobile while waiting for 45 minutes so far on the land line to speak to someone at plusnet.this is the fourth attempt to speak to someone today,  what a great start to plusnet this has been. I still have my talk talk router plugged in, all lights are green so i assume the bb is now live but can't get a connection
hoonercat
Dabbler

Over an hour waiting to speak to someone on the phone only to be told sorry you need a different department ring back tomorrow.  :-.I've used upmy last day of holiday so ccannot get any more time off work,  can someone please arrange for an engineer to visit on a Saturday?  And yes they do work Saturdays as i had one visit a few weeks ago