cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Plusnet - Fibre slower than promised

Slint

New to Plusnet - Fibre slower than promised

Hi,

My Plusnet fibre unlimited broadband went active today, I had previously been with Sky fibre and received a very reliable service.....long story as why I cancelled the Sky service.....

So, Plusnet said I'd get between 16 - 22mb (I was getting a very stable 21mb with Sky) I'm getting 10 - 11mb wired or wifi, PC or Mac.

I've tried calling customer services but gave up after being on hold for 40 minutes.

Is this normal for Plusnet? 

11 REPLIES 11
drunkmunky
Hooked

Re: New to Plusnet - Fibre slower than promised

Long wait times on the phone? It's been commented on in another thread that they are infact receiving high call volumes, so that was just unlucky.

Plusnet not giving any insight into what is going on and ignoring the customer? I can see a trend of this happening, so I am going to have to say yes. The top thread in the fibre optic forum is customers complaining about the lack of information due to the packet loss in peak times.

I could go on, but looking at that thread is enough.

harros

I don't think long wait times are a surprise. Every time I called these last few weeks (I joined beginning of August) it's mostly been a 30min wait so I don't know what guy above is talking about it being an "unlucky" moment. This is the norm in MY experience.

I was given an estimate of 76-80 and have been getting 38-41mb which for some people might be enough but when I pay for something I want to get the most out of it. Support has been ignoring my ticket for a week(!) now because they don't want to push Openreach to install a new line underground to fix the problem. I was even told that a manager would call me in 24hrs (it's now been 3 days). So yeah, total joke.

So yes, I would say this whole thing is normal for Plusnet and I'm personally thinking of leaving as having such a shoddy experience in the first month I've been with them is unacceptable.  Good luck

drunkmunky
Hooked

Been with plusnet for two years and in general a call wait time is 10-15 mins.

But I have been phoning due to problems and it seems the past month and it seems plusnet has been struggling with anything customer satisfaction related.

harros

But I have been phoning due to problems and it seems the past month and it seems plusnet has been struggling with anything customer satisfaction related.

Which is exactly the period of time i've been a customer. I seem to be very unlucky with Plusnet then. Also, I am aware that the issue is with Openreach and not PlusNet directly but my supplier is PlusNet and I cannot contact Openreach directly so from where I am standing, PlusNet need to sort my connection out.

it seems plusnet has been struggling with anything customer satisfaction related.

It would certainly seem like it. With the exception of SOME of the helpful/friendly customer representatives, everything else is an absolute pile.

drunkmunky
Hooked

I feel you, we - with a lot of others on this forum - are on the same page about the issues.

wildthing666
Grafter

My speed when I signed up was given as between 42 and 56Mb so far I have averaged around 47Mb with my previous provider I got 51.6Mb but I left them because their price had become too expensive. The BB alone had jumped to £35 a month but you should get the same or close to your previous provider it will settle down within 10 days to your speed.

chenks76
All Star
Fixes: 12

FTTC does not have a 10 day period. it's a myth/misconception that is often trotted out.
the 10 day period is only applicable to ADSL.
Riza
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

It does take time for DLM to sync in and improve the line's ability.

Firstly, I'd make sure that Plusnet have assigned you on the correct profile. When I first ordered fibre 80/20, they put me on adsl/lowered down fibre profile which was confirmed by one Openreach engineer who was mistakenly booked.

If the profile is correct, just wait for DLM to make the correct changes, I'd imagine if a engineer came round, he must have done a DLM reset? Advice for DLM to make improvements is simply don't reboot your router very often, keep it 24/7 on.

Same internal wiring I guess, so that is ruled down.

Once again there is a percentage that the line has to go under for Plusnet to send out a engineer. Report it at faults.plus.net and within a couple of days someone will have a good look at the report Smiley

What is your BT BRAS IP Profile set to? Have a look here https://windows.mouselike.org/be/index.asp?DoAction=BrasChecker or do a wholesale speedtest here and then press additional information and enter your phone number in http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/

Eventually, login to your plusnet account through member center and use this link below: https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed and see what profile Plusnet has assigned you to.

Kremmen
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

What I found when I switched to fibre was that the ADSL2+ to fibre speed test were inaccurate whilst on ADSL. What the speed checker seems to miss out on is the condition of the cable from the fibre box to your premises.

My initial check promised higher speeds but my local 40 year old deteriorating aluminium cable soon took care of that.

However, once you are on fibre, then run a check and it gets it fairly accurate.

Let's be careful out there !
Slint

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

I have spoken to Plusnet support on a couple of occasions (35-40 minutes on hold each time....!!) the first guy I spoke to fobbed me off, gave me some snake oil advice and [-Censored-] off.....of course his recommendations did nothing so I called them again. Next guy informed me the BT have assigned me the wrong profile / line speed. They have capped my line speed at 12.7mb despite guaranteeing a minimum of 16.6mb........well [-Censored-] done.

Apparently, something might happen within 3-4 days or 2 months. 

I really should have done some research before I signed with Plusnet, the fact BT hold their reigns would have warned me off. 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav) Avoidance of swear filter edited as per Forum rules

Slint

Update.

I am voting with my feet and ditching Plusnet like the proverbial hot potato, logic and common decency gets you nowhere with them.

Signed up with new provider......Plusnet...never, ever again. 

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat) Avoidance of swear filter removed.