cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to PN from BT - Low speed, but only on one device.

FIXED
BusStopWilly
Hooked
Fixes: 1

New to PN from BT - Low speed, but only on one device.

Hi,

I set my PN Hub up yesterday, but the PC I originally connected with will only reach a speed of 1mbs at best. No settings were changed and all I had to do was disconnect my BT homehub 5 and plug the Plusnet one in. Other devices connected are PS4 through wireless, which tests at about 12-16mbs and a laptop which connected effortlessly wireless and also have tried wired on laptop, both give me top speeds of 17.mbs.

For some unknown reason, the desktop pc upstairs is incredibly slow. It was okay the night before on BT and no other settings have been changed. Connecting to the hub settings tells me that the downstream is 18mbs, but speedtest is having trouble hitting 1,0mbs.

The only difference I can think of between the devices is that the PC is using a USB net adapter. PS4, laptop, both phones all connect at top speed.

Im usually pretty good with things like this, but this has really got me stumped! 

Any suggestions? I'm very happy with my new service, apart from on the main PC

10 REPLIES 10
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New to PN from BT - Low speed, but only on one device.

How about the obvious

Either the USB wireless adapter is having problems - what is the signal strength

Or it has connected to another BT Router where the wireless isn't secured

BusStopWilly
Hooked

Have tried 2 different adapters, both dual band. I've tried separating the channels into 5 and 2.4 ghz, same on both. Signal is good and I'm defnately connected to plusnet router

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That scuppers my suggestions

How about this one - guess who is clutching at straws - try disabling the internet security package on the computer

BusStopWilly
Hooked

Tried that first :D, disabled then uninstalled. No firewall or AV running. I had Windscribe VPN installed but turned off, uninstalled that too. I'm truely at a loss.

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Have you tried using the BT HH5? You will need to enter your PN username and password.

BusStopWilly
Hooked

Help chat suggested that too but for some unknown reason the page keeps refreshing before I get chance to enter my username and password. Back on PN hub again now, still the same, dead slow on pc, fine on everything else. Tried using chrome and IE. Grrrrr.

Open to suggestions

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@BusStopWilly wrote:

Help chat suggested that too but for some unknown reason the page keeps refreshing before I get chance to enter my username and password.

That could be because the Hub may be locked to BT.

@BusStopWilly wrote:
Open to suggestions

Another shot in the dark... have you tried a factory reset of the router? Also, if at all possible, connecting your PC to the router via ethernet to narrow down where the issue could lie?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
BusStopWilly
Hooked

Fix

Yes, also tried that Gandalf but thanks anyway Cheesy

I seem to have solved it. I re-installed Windscribe, switched it on and everything runs normally again!

I think Windscribe has its own firewall which hung around after uninstalling causing problems.

At least I can connect now and work out how to fully un-install the damn thing. 

Thank you all for your help Cheesy

Mav
Fixes: 514

Just seen this.

I, too, have Windscribe installed. I installed the FF addon and noticed that occasionally just FF slows down to a crawl. Up to now my remedy has been to quite FF and start it again and all seems OK for some time.

I will disable Windscribe a while to see if it sill happens.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Sorry for the late reply.

@Gandalf many people use the BT HH5 on PN, all you need is your PN username and password.

@BusStopWilly Entering your details can be tricky, but if you press the disconnect icon before you do so, then connect after you should find it easier.

HTH