cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Fibre - What happens exactly on day of activation?

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

New to Fibre - What happens exactly on day of activation?

Hi Plusnet folks!
I'm due to join the fibre revolution on the 28th January and my shiny new Hub One arrived today. My question is what happens exactly on the day of installation? Do BT need access to my home and if so is this to check my wall socket or to fit a new one?
My current wall socket has the double connection face plate, one for broadband and one for phone though it doesn't appear to have been fitted by BT. Do they check what socket you have?
I've signed up for the Unlimited Fibre 40 Mgbps and read somewhere online that BT no longer fit new sockets for customers using the 40 Mbps products. Apparently they only check and fit new sockets if you opt for superfast 80 Mbps, can anyone confirm this?
Also on the day of activation will Plusnet inform me when to plug in my new Hub One?
Thanks in advance  Smiley
6 REPLIES 6
jafreer
Aspiring Pro

Re: New to Fibre - What happens exactly on day of activation?

Not really an answer to your questions but I assume you know that your upload speed will be capped at a maximum of 2 Mbps? Many other suppliers (e.g. BT) offer up to 10 Mbps upload speeds on the 38 Mbps product. I tell you this because it seems a lot of people were not aware of this. So if it is a big issue for you, and you are in still in your cooling off period, you can cancel.
MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Thanks Jafreer,
The speed information was made clear during my upgrade, besides with my existing Plusnet broadband I'm only getting 0.37 Mbps upload so 2 Mbps per second is certainly an improvement. I don't tend to upload much, just the odd photo or diagram to the various forums I use.  As for BT.., well having already experienced first hand what their service is like I'm doubtful I will ever become a member in the future.
Cheers  Wink
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I've signed up for the Unlimited Fibre 40 Mgbps and read somewhere online that BT no longer fit new sockets for customers using the 40 Mbps products. Apparently they only check and fit new sockets if you opt for superfast 80 Mbps, can anyone confirm this?
BT offer two types of Fibre install, a 'managed install' and a 'self-install' irrespective of whether it's an 80Mb or 40Mb provide. The managed install involves an engineer doing the connection work at the cabinet and then attending the premises to install a VDSL faceplate and test the connection. On the self install, the engineer just does the work at the cabinet and that's it!. You need to either use a filtered faceplate(sounds like you have one already) or a plug-in filters just like with ADSL AFAIK most(if not all) of PN's Fibre installs are now 'self installs'.
It's down to the ISP to tell you when the connection is live, from the engineer reporting the work complete at the cabinet, however this report can often be delayed. I had a self-install recently at the office(not PlusNet) and TBH I just plugged the modem/router into the line in the morning and waited for it to synch. This was on a line that didn't previously have ADSL though...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Thanks MisterW,
To be honest I wasn't even sure what type of installation I was supposed to be having, my email just said the following:
Account username: ********
Here's the date you've chosen for an engineer to install your new Plusnet Fibre service:    28/01/2016 AM

We'll do our best to arrange your appointment for this date but this is still subject to availability.

However, I just phoned the number on this email and it now transpires an engineer will be calling between 8am - 1 pm
I guess I might get another new face plate after all, I'm wondering if they can move my master socket from inside my under-stairs cupboard to the outside next to my A/C wall socket? It'd certainly make life easier!
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Tea and biccies often works wonders with BT engineers Smiley

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

Heck.., in that case I'll break out the Champers and Caviar!  Cheesy