cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Fibre: Downstream speed the same as non Fibre

annapp
Grafter

New to Fibre: Downstream speed the same as non Fibre

We have just changed over to Unlimited Fibre yesterday, the router is reporting:

Downstream: 22.88 Mbps
Upstream: 1.062 Mbps

so while the Upstream is higher the downstream is the same as we had on ordinary broadband, we nearly always had speeds between 17Mbps & 20Mbps so I presume we have a good line.

The line speed check on the Plusnet site:

Estimated line speed:
40Mb (This may vary between 61.2Mb and 78.3Mb) - Checked on 2016-06-21 20:00:04
Current line speed:
20.6 Mb

I did reboot the router this morning but still the same.

Could someone look in to this or tell me how long/or what we have to do to get higher downstream speed.

Thanks

Stephen

6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: New to Fibre: Downstream speed the same as non Fibre

The fact that the router is reporting such low figures would indicate that you have a fault

Alternatively you may still be on ADSL as those numbers are quite possible on it

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

@annapp It looks like your account changed over early as your actual upgrade isn't due until the 8th of July.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
annapp
Grafter

@MatthewWheeler So does that mean we are not actually on Fibre until July 8th? We only changed the router over yesterday because we got an email, I think saying the order was completed. Also when my partner organised the package changeover last week and asked when it would change to fibre, the Plusnet sales person said in about 10 days.

Thanks

Stephen

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@annapp Yes that's correct. I've fed back on the agent as with fibre it depends on engineer availability and the 8th was the first date available in your area.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
annapp
Grafter

@MatthewWheeler OK thanks for the confirmation, we will wait patiently till the 8th:-) Interesting that the upstream speed has increased, it was about half of that before we put the new fibre router in. I presume there is no problem leaving the Fibre router connected?

Thanks

Stephen

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team

@annapp Yes that's correct you can keep using it and it'll work straight after the upgrade so you don't need to do anything.

There'll be some downtime on the day as the engineer swaps you over but it shouldn't be no more than a hour at the latest.

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team