cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New subscriber - D-Link router

taid

New subscriber - D-Link router

I have just switched to PlusNet fibre, but the Sagem router supplied is unable to forward ports, as far as I can determine.  I've got a D-Link router but I need to have a default gateway address to complete the configuration for my static IP set-up.  My IP address is in the 81.174.xxx.xxx  range and the router expects a gateway in the same domain.  The telephone support team don't seem to know what a gateway is.  Can anyone help?
9 REPLIES
bill888
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 24

Re: New subscriber - D-Link router

If you have a single static IP address from Plusnet, I believe you just need to set up the PPPoE connection to use 'Dynamic IP'.  The router should then pick up the static IP (and gateway) allocated to your connection automatically.

taid

Yes, I tried that, but the gateway is in a quite different IP range (195.166.xxx.xxx) and the D-Link expects it to be "on the same network".  The set-up help pages from the PlusNet archive for D-Link show the IP and gateway sharing the same IP range.
tmsjns

Apparantly with fiber you dont need any type of pppoe you just plug and play. Not sure about static IPs but with my dynamic IP i just pluged it in and waitinf overnight and all was good. I use a dlink router too.
taid

OK I'll give that a try.
taid

Sadly, using teh DHCP option on the D-Link didn't work.  It picked up the ISP but failed to connect to the internet.  Any other ideas?
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 50

Yes, I tried that, but the gateway is in a quite different IP range (195.166.xxx.xxx) and the D-Link expects it to be "on the same network".
as zZz said it should be simple. You set the router for a PPPoE connection with your PlusNet username/password. When it's getting the IP/Gateway from the ISP it shouldn't have any problem with addresses. That gateway address is correct BTW I'm also on a static IP ( in the 80.xxx.xxx.xxx range ) and have the same gateway.
What model is the D-Link ?
taid

Its the DIR-845L.  I chose this one because I need port forwarding, which seems beyond the Sagem, and because the WiFi signal from the Sagem is terribly weak.  I'm finding that I lose signal the wrong side of the next room.  The D-Link has good review for its signal strength and that I have certainly found true.  If the gateway is on the same network, I suspect the stumbling block will be the error checking software in the D-Link.
bill888
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 24

Looking on Dlink website, the latest firmware for the DIR-845L is dated Sep 2014, v1.02b05.
Reading through the manual, the settings shown in attached image should work.
taid

Many thanks zZz.  My mistake was to omit the '@plusdsl.net' from my username!  Seems to work now.