cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New service slower than hoped for, and confusing router stats

Jogo
Hooked

New service slower than hoped for, and confusing router stats

I was originally given a download speed estimate of 20-27.  I am using the Hub One modem/router connected directly to the BT test socket and am getting the following stats:

6. Data rate: 3192 / 17453
7. Maximum data rate: 3287 / 17852
8. Noise margin: 6.4 / 6.4
9. Line attenuation: 46.8 / 27.8
10. Signal attenuation:

35.0 / 21.4

Can anyone please explain the difference between line attenuation and signal attenuation? It seems that my sync speed is related to the 'line' attenuation (based on the DSL calculator on speedguide.net that I tried).  I am wondering why there is a big difference between the two numbers.  I have seen other people quote their stats as above, and both line and signal attenuation are very similar.  If mine were both 21.4 I might be able to get around 21.5Mb - I am wondering if this is possible?

The BT figures for my cabinet give a clean range of 20-28.6 and an impacted range of 9-22.3.  So I appear to be in the impacted range from the outset. 

My line is stable, I've been connected for over four days and I just tried rebooting a little earlier, to see if I might attain a better speed but there was no change.

If this is the best speed I can get then I will accept it, but I am wondering if I could be doing quite a bit better here.

Further info, my cabinet is ECI and so is the Hub One (based off BT Home Hub 5A) so that should be optimal.

15 REPLIES 15
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: New service slower than hoped for, and confusing router stats

Do you have one of the latest filtered master sockets, and are you plugged into it? It could be you internal wiring that is holding your speeds back if not.

Have a look at the troubleshooting guides in the help section.

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

@Jogo

I had very slow speeds when my Fibre Broadband was installed which were no better than my previous broadband. After chatting to support they noticed that something hadn't been switched over at their end and I was still effectively receiving the same speeds as before. They changed it there and then and now I'm getting close to 40 Mbps Down and almost 2.00 Mbps Up.

Jogo
Hooked

@Mustrum wrote:

Do you have one of the latest filtered master sockets, and are you plugged into it? It could be you internal wiring that is holding your speeds back if not.

Have a look at the troubleshooting guides in the help section.

I am connected directly to the test socket, so I am bypassing the internal wiring and eliminating it as an issue.

This is the sort of socket I have.

socket.jpg

Jogo
Hooked

@MKSlinky wrote:

@Jogo

I had very slow speeds when my Fibre Broadband was installed which were no better than my previous broadband. After chatting to support they noticed that something hadn't been switched over at their end and I was still effectively receiving the same speeds as before. They changed it there and then and now I'm getting close to 40 Mbps Down and almost 2.00 Mbps Up.

Perhaps I should have added that this is a new service at a new property (not a new build, I mean I've recently moved here).

The speed I am getting is very much in the ballpark of what would be expected given the long distance from the nearest cabinet etc. so it could well be that this is as good as I will get.

I am curious about the line / signal attenuation stats as I mentioned in the OP though, so if anyone knows specifically about that, I would be very interested to hear about it.

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Ok, then I suggest you give them a call, or get on chat and see what the problem is. 

Jogo
Hooked

I did phone them on the first day of the service, when I found it was well  below the 20 minimum I had hoped for.  He did a test on my line and found no faults.  He said it may go up over time. 

The BT wholesale speed test passes without faults and says my acceptable range is 12-17.  So the speed I am getting will not be deemed a 'fault' (and I know it's better than many people can get - but where I moved from, I used to get 80/20 full speed so I would rather get 1/4 of that in my new home if possible, rather than 1/5! :))

Mustrum
Community Veteran

Ah ok, I thought you said you were expecting 20 and above. So if dsl checker says you are within the expected range, then not so much you can do.

Alas I can't help much with the other figures, however there some very knowledgeable people on here who may be able to help.

Jogo
Hooked

dslchecker.bt.com for my address says the clean range is 20 - 28.6 and the impacted range is 9 - 22.3. 

What I don't know is if being within the impacted range would be deemed any kind of fault. 

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hi there @Jogo if your sync speed is below your estimated speed range I'd advise to raise a fault to us at http://faults.plus.net so that we can arrange an engineer to investigate this.
This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Jogo
Hooked

Thank you @Anoush, I have just done as you suggested.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Thanks for that. I've reported the fault through to BT and updated your ticket. If you let me know on here once you've replied I can progress this for you.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Jogo
Hooked

Thanks, I have replied to the support ticket.

Jogo
Hooked

So it looks as if I will be declining the engineer visit offer, as I could be charged if 'no fault' is found.  Which to me seems the most likely outcome, as I am getting a speed close to what would be expected, and well above what BT deem a minimum acceptable speed.  And no disconnections etc., the line is stable.  I can't risk paying £65 which to me is a lot of money.

If a Plusnet support rep could kindly explain the relevance of line and signal attenuation in the router stats, it might well help to better inform my decision and identify if there is anything of significance there.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

I've been discussing this with one of my colleagues. From looking at your line length of almost 1 mile, it's very likely that this is the best speed your line can achieve so I agree it's probably best not to go for the engineer.

I apologise if I caused you any disappointment by asking you to raise the fault.

I'm not entirely sure of the difference between line & signal attenuation. For fibre circuits we don't really see this though for ADSL it provides an indication of how long your line is.

Here's my test results for your reference:

Test Outcome Pass
Test Outcome Code GTC_FTTC_SERVICE_0001
Description GEA service test completed and no fault found but unable to check for customer equipment connected to modem.
Main Fault Location OK
Sync Status In Sync
Downstream Speed 17.5 Mbps
Upstream Speed 3.2 Mbps
Appointment Required N
Fault Report Advised N
NTE Power Status PowerOn
Voice Line Test Result Pass
Bridge Tap Not Detected
Radio Frequency Ingress Not Detected
Repetitive Electrical Impulse Noise Not Detected
Cross Talk Not Detected
Estimated Line Length In Metres 1313.3
Upstream Rate Assessment Good
Downstream Rate Assessment Reasonable
Interference Pattern Not Detected
Service Impact No Impact Observed
Home Wiring Problem Not Detected
Downstream Policing Discard Rate 0.0
Customer Traffic Level Upstream and Downstream Traffic Detected
Technology VDSL
Profile Name 0.128M-80M Downstream, Error Protection Off - 0.128M-20M Upstream, Error Protection Off