cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router won't connect. TP Link N600 TD-W9980

picklepercy
Dabbler

New router won't connect. TP Link N600 TD-W9980

I've bought a new router which I tried to setup today. It's all setup but doesn't want to connect to the internet so I'm obviously doing something wrong! I've bought it to replace the plusnet router as well as the BT Openreach modem box.

I've tried it in Wireless Router Mode as well as xDSL Modem Router Mode (pretty sure Wireless Router Mode is what I want), I've made sure that it's in PPPOE mode and that I've been using myusername@plusdsl.net and the correct password. I assume I want it set to VDSL rather than ADSL?

In the logs the error that keeps coming up is "ppp0 Timeout waiting for PADO packets."

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

Re: New router won't connect. TP Link N600 TD-W9980

If you're replacing the BT Openreach modem as well, then you need to set it to xDSL Modem Router Mode.

There's a quick setup guide here http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/TD-W9980_QuickSetup which may help.

You will need to enter your PlusNet username and password.

Having not used a W9980 myself, I hope that helps but there are people here that have used them and so hopefully if you're still having problems they will be able to provide more detailed help.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: New router won't connect. TP Link N600 TD-W9980

It needs to be in xdsl mode. Just run the setup wizard. Choose PN as the supplier and it will set it up properly.