cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router to help wifi issues

VinMc

New router to help wifi issues

Just upgraded to fastest Fibre package but having major wifi speed problems. Think it might be down to my router which is still the original 2704N from when I originally signed up. Problem is that Plusnet don't seem to think you deserve an upgrade to your router when you re-sign! Trying to get through Plusnet Customer Services is driving me mad as the chat is always offline as too busy and the phones always have a 10 minute queue. Does anyone know if upgrading my router is likely to improve things? And is there any way of getting the latest router from Plusnet? On the verge of cancelling my new contract and going to someone else just to get better customer service and a new router! Thanks in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: New router to help wifi issues

Upgrading your router might help, but not by much.

You need to say what speeds you are getting and what you'd really like to have.

Trying to send wifi through brick walls isn't usually very speedy.

So physical layout of your network is important.

You will only attain top speed if you are using ethernet cable.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

VinMc

Thanks. If I connect by ethernet cable I can get 60Mbps. If I disconnect and use wifi from literally a foot away it drops to half that. At times I am getting less than 10Mbps, all on the same floor of house, no brick walls in between.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

10 - 20Mbits/sec might be pretty usual for a 2.4GHz connection - a new router would have an additional 5GHz connection which might be hugely faster in the right conditions, assuming your devices can make use of this waveband.

You could try a new router - but this would be very expensive just to get better wifi.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Customer services can normally offer an upgraded router within 3 months of a re-contract so give them a quick call.
They'll probably ask you to cover the p&p but that's only about 7 quid Smiley
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Given the number of complaints about the PN Hub1, you might be better getting a BT Hub 6 from eBay or Free ads - there are instructions on how to set it up in the Router section - you just need to enter your username and password.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 419

@VileReynard wrote:

You could try a new router - but this would be very expensive just to get better wifi.

£15-20 for a Smarthub 6 from EBay is not that much more than Plusnet charge for the P&P on an inferior 'freebie' Hub One.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mads
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 79

Hey @VinMc,

I'm really sorry to read that you are having WiFi issues at the moment and for the misinformation you have been given by our Customer Support.

I have processed a new hub one router for you, this should arrive within the next 3-5 working days (No charge). As you recently signed up we should have been able to do this for you then, I have now passed feedback on in regards to this.

You'll have a ten day stabilisation period once the new router is hooked up, I would recommend trying to change the WiFi channels if the issues continue. You can find more info on that here.

Give us a nudge here if you need any further assistance.

Thanks.