cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New router order "PN Staff please respond only".

markeagles1973
Grafter

New router order "PN Staff please respond only".

OK so I have been a long time customer with PN called.today to request MAC but they gave me a good deal to stay part of it was a new fibre router now he quoted tg582n and assured me this is an updated version where all 4 ports are available with pppoe port to. Can someone confirm this ? Because I can't find a broadband version of this router o. PN site don't really want the same router I got as they said it was newer version a reason why I stayed
14 REPLIES 14
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: New router order

Quote from: markeagles1973
quoted tg582n and assured me this is an updated version where all 4 ports are available with pppoe port to.

That doesn't sound believable to me.  Shocked

markeagles1973
Grafter

ok so could a PN staff have this sorted please , i dont want a router thats limited to 3 lan ports , Linix Box. Humax PN TV Box, PC, Roku3, Powerline for upstairs box media centre. I would rather have this cancelled . not good the salesman even asked supervisor if the router had 4 useable ports for lan and not limited to 3 . Not happy chappy.
npr
Pro

MoneyMan
Dabbler

Hello.
I've been using this one [ftp=ftp://http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000N99BBC]http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000N99BBC[/ftp] for a couple of years now, also TP-Link but more expensive as it goes up to gigabit (all our wired connections at home run at gigabit).  I've been very happy with it; I am about to get an 8 port version too.  The IT team at work also use the same versions too.
H
markeagles1973
Grafter

Point is i was miss led !! i would not have accepted it if it was the same old model ..
npr
Pro

Quote from: markeagles1973
Point is i was miss led !!

Sorry I don't see it as a deal breaker.  Undecided
Is it that important anyway, you've already said you got a good deal and you can add extra ports for very little money.
@MoneyMan Your link is broken.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000N99BBC
MoneyMan
Dabbler

Sorry for the broken link, I'm new to this!  Thanks for fixing it.
H
markeagles1973
Grafter

not the point its  like buying a galaxy s5 over the phone then a galaxy s4 being delivered would you be happy ?? don't think so i wouldn't i don't need or want to buy a 5 port switch i don't need it . the point also is being told its a newer model with all 4 ports available to me .
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: New router order "PN Staff please respond only".

Hi there,
As others on the thread have advised, the router is a 4 port model however one of those ports is designated for the modem connection, this means you have 3 usable ethernet ports. Sorry if you feel misled by this, I'm happy to refund the delivery charge of the router based on this if you'd like.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

What do they charge for the p&p nowadays £5.99?
BTW I have a tg582n and run a desktop, sky box, blue ray player, rasberrypi, lightwave wifilink and a selection of tablets and smart phones and have a spare lan socket  Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
markeagles1973
Grafter

Quote from: Chris
Hi there,
As others on the thread have advised, the router is a 4 port model however one of those ports is designated for the modem connection, this means you have 3 usable ethernet ports. Sorry if you feel misled by this, I'm happy to refund the delivery charge of the router based on this if you'd like.

Can you just remove the router for delivery , i need 4 ports i cant just pop out and buy a 5 port switch just for the sake of using one of them its a wastw of money.
PeterLoftus
Pro

As I read it they're offering you a free router! What's wrong with that?  Undecided
Rearrange this well known phrase or saying, "Nose, face, cut off, spite.....  Cheesy
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

From his first post it appears he already has a fibre version of the TG582 where he has three usable ports, so apart from taking up space in a cupboard and keeping it as a spare it doesn't do a lot for him - unless he turns off the PPPoE and DHCP and uses it as a switch which gives him an extra 3 ports. Given the power supply will be sufficient to drive the wireless, I bet a 5 or 8 port switch will be more efficient as well as giving him more ports.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
PeterLoftus
Pro

The OP would probably be most satisfied if the record of the conversation with the agent was listened to and had some training if it was proved he gave incorrect information.
My point was that, as other posts suggest, there are many ways of arranging a lan and a four port router is not essential and is probably not optimal. Lips_are_sealed
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra